• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

two different noises...

XJeffro

NAXJA Forum User
I have two separate noises that are coming from my 95 with 3" lift. i put in all new shocks all around and new springs up front (aal in rear).

when i am at a stop sign, and accelerate semi-hard, i get a sound like something is pulling away from the frame. it sounds like a heavy metal rubber band (if you will) that is really stretching. like a bup bup bup sound (it sounds like that in my head):D I dont know if it is my springs, or what...

the second is typical driveline vibes, due to the lift and no transfer case drop (which i will do soon). but at 45 mph, i get a loud vibe that i can feel under my feet and under the passenger side as well. at fist i thought it was the shock boots, but it is really loud to be soft rubber vibrating. and it only happens at 45-47 mph. no more no less.

if anyone has any inkling into what these noises may be, please post... i appreciate it!:D

Thanks

I'll take a sab. 45-47 vibrations are driveline vibes. Double check angles when you drop the t-case.

The other is a little more difficult just because of your description. So you say it sounds like a rubber band from the start? Well it's got to be the front coils. Look for rubbing on the paint on the coils. I had some noises like that when I was wheeling once only to find that the sway bar had fallen and was hitting it when I was flexing it up. Not applicable in your case however.

yeah, it sounds like the coils are really stretching. i dont know why they would make that noise though. it did it a little bit when it was stock, but now with the larger coils it is a lot louder...

only when the body and front end lift up under semi-hard and hard acceleration, it makes the noise. it doesnt make it under compression at all.

the rubber band is the only logical thing i could come up with to describe it...:confused:

I had the same sound on my 95 and it was the control arm bushings. I took them off (upper and lower) and greased them up and and all was quiet. Also wouldnt hurt to grease up the rear spring eye bushings too.

Back