• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Stalling Problem

Wesk

NAXJA Forum User
1992 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L, Automatic Trans., Part-Time 4wd. 120k miles

Bought about 3 years ago for a work truck & hunting vehicle. Since then I've started having problems with it, and I've bought a '99 XJ sport to replace it (which runs fine). So, I'd like to fix the '92, but I'm only planning on turning around and selling it as soon as I get it fixed (I don't really want to sell a car that I know has a problem).

On to the problem. . . .

Basically it shuts off (and sometimes doesn't start) at random. It appears that it can happen at any engine temperature or speed (it's happened going down the highway at 60mph, or pulling up to a stop sign with a cold engine). So basically it sounds like a bad CPS, right? Well after doing some research, I've replaced the CPS along with several other things (throttle position sensor, fuel pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil), and the problem hasn't gone away. Also, I've NEVER gotten the ECM code for bad CPS signal (can't remember the number right now, but I know I've never seen it). Generally just get code 12 (battery disconnected/power loss) although I hadn't disconnected the battery recently (however this sounds common from what I've heard).
I've checked ground straps and their connections; all look good. In fact, I added two or three additional wires to ground the battery/engine/ECM all together to make sure they were grounded; this did not help.
I haven't checked for fuel pressure (I don't have a fuel press. gauge), but even when the jeep doesn't start I can still hear the fuel pump for a couple seconds after key-on, and when I depress the valve on the fuel rail, it always squirts out a bunch.
I haven't been able to verify whether the no-start is a result of no spark or no fuel injected.
So I've got the jeep at my local mechanic (not a Jeep garage - I've had it to my local dealer and they charged me $60 for one hour to tell me that they couldn't get it to not start). My mechanic has had it not start a few times, but every time that happens, he hasn't been able to figure it out.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions of what to look for? I'd sure appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Wes

Long shot

I have a 98 and on the 98's there is a big connector block down near your right foot on the firewall. Mine was never tightened from the factory and I had all kinds of problems, radio would not hold time or stations, dash would quit on me, whole bunch of problems and it even stalled a few times for no reason.
When I installed the Mopar/Jeep fog light wireing kit I bumped the block and it moved so I looked closer, the big bolt that holds it together in the center was out completely and only friction was holding the thing together. I pulled it apart and sprayed it down with electronic cleaner and then put it back together, solved some problems
I would start looking for loose corroded connections under the dash.
Also check the vacumn line under the battery that goes to the blimp behind the front bumper. Could be eaten thru by battery spluge. That usually shows up as not being able to get air to blow out of anything but the defrost vents no matter the postion of the selector.
Good luck, I'm going thru a similar problem with an 89 YJ :D

Yeah, when I replaced my battery I found that the acid had eaten through some wires. I wonder what I should use to clean it.

Still works though... ;)

Back