• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trak Loc for $100, god or bad deal??

Majo

NAXJA Forum User
I can buy a Trak Loc with 14,000 miles on it for 100 bucks it came outta a 98 wrangler. would it fit in my Dana 35 in my cherokee?, The wrangler has a dana 35 too that it is being pulled from....I need to know ASAP

Thanks!!!

I don't know if it would fit- probably would, but the Trak-locs use clutch-type friction plates, so they do wear. If the donor vehicle was heavily wheeled, the plates may be worn down, even with only 14k miles. For about another $100 you could get a brand new Lock-Right.

Nah! I sold my D44 trac-loc for $45 a few weeks back with R&P!

what would be a good price to pay for it though, i'm getting cups and bearings and pins and all with it..??

I put in a locker to replace the traklok in my 97 and the difference was night and day. I personally would not buy that for any price. A "lunchbox" locker can be found, used, for cheap here and elsewhere on the internet.

Also, the traklok uses a different carrier. You need to reset the gears when replacing the carrier, which will drive the price up a good bit if you can not do it yourself.

Josh

i only do light wheelin nothing dangerous on rocks so i dont' need the 100% lock assurance of a locker, occasion fun in mud and some moderate trails is all i do. would it matter if my axle is C-clip or non C-clip, as I am getting this from a 98 wrangler?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it would matter. I had a trak-lock, I would recommend looking into an Auburn or some other LSD if you're gonna drop the coin for one. Might as well get a newer slightly more agressive LSD. The trak-loc is not a TOTAL waste of money, but I wouldn't pay for one if it were me. HTH.

Ary

CUxj88 said:
would it matter if my axle is C-clip or non C-clip, as I am getting this from a 98 wrangler?

No it doesn't matter. I put a D35 trac-loc in my Dad's 89 XJ D35 non c-lock that came out of a 98 ZJ D35 c-lock style axle. The 98 TJ has a c-lock, and your 88 does not.

If you are just doing moderate wheeling then the trac-lock will be perfect. But to answer the real question, $100 sounds like too much. $50 is more like it. Like someone said in a previous post, there will be an added expense of having it installed if you cannot do it yourself properly.

Bryan

Edit: this thread is a lot older than I thought

I just threw one away when I installed my D44. The trac lok worked ok when you used the emergency brake, but it aint worth it. save a little more dinero and get a lunchbox locker. Hardly noticed on the street, but makes a difference in the dirt.

Ary'01XJ said:
The trak-loc is not a TOTAL waste of money, but I wouldn't pay for one if it were me.

I would. In fact, I did. When my original Trac-Lok wore out I replaced it with another.

Guys, the person who asked the question said something about
i only do light wheelin nothing dangerous on rocks so i dont' need the 100% lock assurance of a locker, occasion fun in mud and some moderate trails is all i do.

A Trac-Lok is fine for that kind of wheeling, and more user-friendly on the street than any lunchbox locker known to man or God. For a unit with low miles like that, I think 100 clams is a good price. A new Trac-Lok will probably be up to about $250 these days, and that doesn't include any bearings or seals or anything, just the bare unit.

I just think it sounds like a good deal until you realize that you have to replace the carrier which could turn out to be a major PITA.

If he can get it all done for cheap, go for it. In my experience, it would not be worth the effort as a used lock-right could be had for cheap as well.

Josh

twcguy said:
If he can get it all done for cheap, go for it. In my experience, it would not be worth the effort as a used lock-right could be had for cheap as well.

True. But a used Trac-Lok with only 14,000 miles on it has probably never been farther off-road than the gravel parking lot at the local golf club. A used Lockright, on the other hand, is more than likely an ABused Lockright. To each his (or her) own, but given that choice I'd take the Trac-Lok in a heartbeat.

But I'll admit that I don't like Lockrights anyway, and that certainly affects my decision process.

I'm with Eagle on this one, I've got a factory Trac-Lok in my '89, it has about 200k on it and is still kicking away. It've been in thick sand stuck, with one rear wheel off the ground, and both rears were still trying to get me out.

Go for it bro, you'll feel the difference, especially the first time you get in the rain!

Sequoia

I'd sell you my Trac Lok for 50.00. Bought it from a reputable NAXJA member here but decided not to use it, clutches are good, spiders are good as well as bearings.

Back