• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Blower

bigglew

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased the vehicle this summer and today was the first time I had to turn the heat on. The blower didn't blow the heat out too hard. It blew heat out but took forever to get a light frost off of the windshield. Is this a problem these vehicles are notorious for? Do you know if you can put in a bigger blower? Or is the blower just going out and I need to replace it?

Thanx

I've noticed with mine that when you switch from AC to heat the airflow goes WAAAAY down, although I have no idea why.

There is no heat/defrost problem that XJs are "notorious" for -- or even a common one affecting defrost. The common problem is a vacuum leak, which causes the air flow to default TO the defroster.

Does your blower have three speeds, responding to changes in the switch setting? If not, the resistor pack may be burned out, or the blower motor may have gone south.

On the other hand -- I just installed a new CD/Receiver in my '88 MJ (Comanche, if you're new to this site), and fount in probing around back there that the defrost duct was full of seeds and nuts -- my guess is that during the time the truck lay fallow before I bought it, some local field mice had taken up residence in the ducts. That does not enhance air flow.

wimpy blower

The problem MAY be in your vacum lines.Start at the vac canister behind the front bumper,and check all the way to the firewall.One of the lines runs under the battery,you will need to take the battery out to chk the line out.
I found 2 of the lines coming from my xfer case were broken,and one line that went through the firewall broken also.
I spliced using 5/32 gasline hose,none fo the splices are over 3"in length.
By splicing the ones from the xfer case,I now have 4x4.
By splicing the one line (black) that goes into the firewall,ALL my heater/ac functions work correctly.

I noticed my 98 XJ defrost was not working. When I select defrost on fan speed 1 it's OK. also speed 2 is OK, when I put it on 3 I hear a air duct door behind the dash forced closed by the air and the defrost air goes away. When I look into the problem I can see the actuator under the dash moving like it is supposed to but the duct door don't move with it. I need to pull the WHOLE dash to fix it. Someday...soon.:rolleyes:
Chuck

Check the blower....

run a jumper wire from the battery to the blower motor to see if it changes the volume of air the blower is moving. If it does not chances are you need a blower motor. $20-$30 usually. If it does not change check your switch in the dash and the wiring to the motor.

Back