• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember- tow point?

kccherokees

NAXJA Forum User
I dont have any forum of tow hooks yet and was wondering if my cross member could be used as a tow point? Would this screw anything up? Last time I got stuck I got pulled out be my front swaybar!! Didnt like that too much at all, but it was the only way to get out!

Thanks Chris

I don't think that's a good idea as those are only 4 10mm bolts there... and if you do things wrong at the very least you will screw up (as in rip out) nutzerts or welded nuts.. or whatever it is that is there away from the frame and then you are in the world of hurt!

Get towhooks!!! or get a front hitch!!! it's not that hard to put them in and personally..... if you were stuck like that, I would not risk pulling you out so that I do not cause any damage and injuries. Things snap, metal flies and people get hurt! there is a pic someplace on the net of a wrangler with a strap and metal hook that snapped back through the windshield (or something like that). Noone really knows if it's true or not, but as the story goes, whoever was sitting there got his arm cutup or (something like that) with it....

Oh... and if they were able to pull you out by the sway bar, then you weren't really stuck....

Kejtar

Get towpoints! Front and rear.

Do you have a receiver in the rear? If so you have the rear covered. Up front either get a tow hook kit ($75 and up) or get a front receiver from either DrawTite or Hidden Hitch (Around $100).

You have to get an acutal tow hook kit for XJ's, no cheap auto parts tow hooks mounted to the bumper, those will maim you!

Keep an eye on the For Sale forum, tow hook kits pop up frequently.

Sequoia

Thread Snatch..! I have a few tow hooks. I was wondering; to what should I weld them? The frame..? Anywhere..?

ummmm as Sequoia said... get the tow hook kit. That is the only safe way to attach towhooks to the XJ. The kit comes with a bracket and another piece that goes in across and ties it all together kind of in an L (very important for side pulls).

Kejtar

Ahhh... I see. Looking at Rusty's tow hook kit makes it all come together. I have the hooks, but no bracker system. Bogus..

Back