• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Here's the perfect Swamper for stock XJ's

telemike

NAXJA Forum User
For those with non-lifted or budget boosted XJ's wanting a Swamper:

Check out the 29x8.50-15 Bias Ply Super Swamper.

A friend of mine had these on a Samurai and Geo Tracker. They worked great in mud, snow and rocks. They stink in sand.

For around $80 each you can't go wrong. They may not have height and width but would tuck into fender wells nicely.

They have way more tread depth and tread spacing. These may be baby swampers but they will perform jsut like the big swampers.

The really impressed David Frieburger of Four Wheeler when he was on our trail ride years ago. :)

that is what I had on my XJ when I first got it. Had them on my S-15 Jimmy before that. They work great, but they are a bias tire and they drive like one as well.'
I got mine for $65 mounted, but that was several years ago. They dig fast.

fd9a0f2b.jpg.orig.jpg

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
tyco came out with those a few years ago as an option for there foot powered toddler specific line of vechicles, incidently they were marketed as "my first swamper"

Hunter

:D lmao.

cheers,

jj

Interco also has the Swamper Radial in LT215/85R15

SAM-70R
LT215/85R15

19/32 skid depth
6.6" Tread Width
28.7" OD
8.6" Cross Section
15x6 Wheel

I´m kinda looking at this from a limited perspective. Mud and traction. My qualifications for saying anything are, I was starter and did tech. inspections, for our mud pit and rodeo for about a decade+ (I kinda noticed what worked and what didn`t). The more of the body and axle you can get out of the mud the better, less drag. Having said that, the best traction is found under the mud, you often have to find the bottom to get anywhere. 31X 10.50 VS 30X9.50 (or 29X9.50), an inch, inch and a half of extra axle clearance, doesn´t help much, when the mud is headlight high, thinner tires dig better. Getting another 4" of the body, out of the mud helps somewhat. Don´t know if it´s worth the stress on the drivetrain, driveshaft angles and such (seemed to be the first to break). The last Rodeo, we did, moderate/ serious, timed 600 yard course of mud holes slides and whoop de does, ending in a 25 yard pit. 3´rd place (overall, all classes) was a bone stock, 87 XJ, with 235X75 AT´s, with a mother of three driveing, Go figure.

Last edited:
What do you know about the Destination M/Ts from Firestone? I am gonna get a set of 235's for my XJ... Just to drive around the festival grounds, etc...

Never seen the Firestones run. Buckshot mudders, kuhmo or other knockoffs, with that tread type, seem to work well and you can most times sling them clean.
I´ve had good luck with TSL´s, but it was on a semi floater (almost paddles)(33X15.50). If they didn´t seem to chunk so easy or wear so fast, I´d probably try a thin set on my XJ.
Goodyear M/T´s (the older model) didn´t seem to clean well.
Farm implement tires (tractor tires) seemed to get the job done on my MOG. Get enough traction to pull everybody back to the pits. Guess it´s all relative.

Last edited:
I've noticed that Pizza Cutter Mud tires work best in the mud UNLESS you have a Full size truck, big block V8, 1-ton axles to sling wide tall 44's

Tall skinny mud tires work best.

29.8.50-15 Super Swampers are the best small size mudder I have seen in action. I had some 30x9.50 Dick Cepek MC-II's that did not compare with Swampers.

Small Buckshots work good too.

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
tyco came out with those a few years ago as an option for there foot powered toddler specific line of vechicles, incidently they were marketed as "my first swamper"

Hunter

My stock XJ will rip apart anything you got off road bring it on.

Problem with the TSL Bias plys is that they're not very super in the wear department...and if you're running that size on a stock XJ the chances are good that it's a daily driver....Cheap is relative to how many miles you can get out of them.

I got less than 10k out of a set of TSL Radials before they were at 50%....and they were $130 each....for another $20 I could have had the same size BFG KM and it woul dlast 2x as long....

But of course, you must remember that there is NOTHING like a TSL Bias offroad!!

Like I mentioned before, I guess it´s all relative. I´ve got 12,000 acres of mixed farmland, bogs and woods that I have to patrol, all of it, every three days (game mangement/forestry). I guess it´s more nearly a mud ralley, than anything else. Got a couple of trucks. A YJ-31´s, A Chev. K-1500, V-8 PU with 31´s limited slip rear (tool hauler), a Dodge W-200 36´s(lifted 4", 2" body, trimmed a bit)(360 motor) with a spool rear end (material hauler). A stock XJ, 30X9.50 Kuhmo´s, shocks, skid pans/mud deflectors and limited slip rear, that will get through the Gumbo quicker than the other three. Something about the ballance (front to rear), lower center of gravity (though I do work the bump stops pretty good), seems to spend more time going forwards than sideways. Also rides real nice on the interstate. For special occasions, I use the MOG. Guess it all depends on what your gonna use it for. Near stock XJ´s, do well in the loose stuff.

Last edited:
My Experience with my old 4runner:

33x10.50 Radial Swampers worked better than 33x12.50R15 General Grabber MT's in mud and snow. The Generals rode awesome on the road and did ok in everything else.

I am reccomending the bias ply swamepr as the ultimate off-road stock size tire for an XJ. Next up would be the radial LT215/85R15 Swamper.

Then you can get the other guy's P235/75R15 and 30x.950 mud terrains.

Hey TRL WGN -

That can't be YOUR Jeep! Look at how straight those body panels are. I can only make out two large dents and a serious crease. And check out that grill - it's ONE PIECE!
Nope - not buying that that's your Jeep!

:D

Man I wish you were going with me tomorrow!

I just beat out and put putty in a dent, in almost exactly the same spot on my drivers door. Broad sidesided by a tree that failed to yield.
I like the TSL´s also, they self clean well. Is the radial the same compound or some harder? Sharp gravel seemed to take bits and pieces out of the tread on my last set of TSL´s, never really had that trouble with say Goodyear MT´s (which had other troubles, they´d collect so much mud they´d grow remarkably). Really the only reason I didn´t get the TSL´s last tire change, was because of the chunks of rubber, chipped out of the last set.

My 33x10.50 radial swampers were a soft compound as well. They worked great in mudand rocks, rode very nice, did great in snow and ice. Probably only last 30,000 miles.

ArmStrong-yeah, at that point, the only damage I had done was that crease. Now, things are a little different huh?

Wish I could have gone with you as well. Hope you are having fun in Moab.

fd9a0f2a.jpg

Back