• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting woes....(moderately long)

calvin

NAXJA Forum User
I had posted this 'issue' a while back and thought I had the solution, but it couldn't be that simple....

98 XJ (4.0L), turns over like a champ, but won't start. I figured it has to be something on the electrical side, due to the associated symptoms: when the engine is cranking, all the gauges go 'flat', just as if the battery was dead. As soon as I stopped cranking, and the key was in the "on"postition, the gauges come back on.
When the engine is running (it actually started once today, and ran for 30 minutes without any problem), the wipers, windows, radio, and mirrors didn't work, but with the key in the 'accessory' postion they do.

I replaced the ignition key cylinder (solution #1), but that didn't fix it. I'm wondering now if the ignition switch could be the problem, or should I look in another direction.

Thanks for any info or ideas.

Check and make sure the battery has a good connection and clean the terminals and battery post. That would be the first place to start.

Back