• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for stub shaft replacement

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, again you get to save my butt. Anyhow, I just need tips, instructions, whatever for replacing the stub shaft on my passenger side. If you could point me to a reliable site or an online FSM. My Haynes says how, but I want something more detailed. Are there any special tools I will need? Thanks a lot...Christian

Here are a couple of sites with info. Between the two of them you should be good to go. I just did this job also but had trouble removing the unjoint to separate the stub axle from the axle shaft so I took it to a trusted shop and had them install the new stub and new ujoint on the axle shaft. First check out the www.madxj.com site and go to tech and then axle and then axle seal and shaft removal for info on getting it out of the jeep. Then go to this link for some info on removing the ujoint and stub axle from the shaft. http://www.ifsja.org/tech/axle/anotherfrontaxlejoint.shtml

Note when losening the outer 36 mm nut it is best to leave wheel on and on the ground then jack up the axle and remove wheel and go from there. Also I had to use a air impact wrench to losen it (drove to local shop had them losen it and tighted back to about 100lbs and drove home -- at your own risk). Note that nut goes back on to 175 lbs and the inner 3 bolts on back side of sindle go on at 75 lbs. Separating the hub from the spindle can be a problem is not removed recently because of rust. If a problem soak w. liquid wrench and either us a chisal to work around it to loosen, use a puller being careful not to pull hub and bearing apart or us extra long sacrafical bolts for the back of the spindal and beat on them equally to push the hub off.

Good Luck. Greg

If you use a hammer and chisel to seperate the hub from the knuckle you'll be doing it for 2 hours, and may even bust a knuckle or two. Air chisel gets it out in 1 minute. I think the vibrations bust loose all that rust that usually seizes them in there. When replacing the hub use some anti seize around the press fit edge to aid future removal.

When you pull out and then replace the axle shaft make sure to use a little gear lube on the inner (carrier end) end so that it slides into the oil seal without tearing, otherwise you'll be teraing the carrier out to replace leaky inner seals (ask me how I know...).

HTH,

Mark

I´ve used the chisel method, easy to get things a little crooked and jam (along with all the rust). Look behind whereever you are trying to wedge it off (with a chisel), might end up with some serious holes in the dust plate. I'd also stay away, from the bolt holes with a chisel (been there done that). I think next time, I´m gonna stick a few throw away bolts in the back side, with an inch of clearnace or so and try a combination of prying and pounding on the bolt heads (with feeling) (along with some liberal penetrating oil). I haven´t broken a hub yet. I´m thankful I never found a puller that fit, usually turns into a catastrophy.

Best method I've found to remove hubs is a set of sacrificial bolts and a Ford wrench (sledge hammer.) Don't use a good set of bolts for this, you'll mushroom them over.

Back