• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 18?

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
This is next to free if i want it? Is it worth building? I'm still looking for a front axle so I'm not set on thier side?

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

The Dana/Spicer 18 transfer case is gear driven, and very short, which is a plus when building a cj or something short. It is used successfully behind V8 powerplants too. But both the front and rear outputs are offset to the passenger side. The Dana 20 has the front output on the passenger side and a centered rear output. Low range gears are available for them as well as other goodies but like any other case, it's a balance between how far you plan to go with it and how much you want to spend. If you want to go big, it's better to save your money for the atlas.

There's a good article in the latest issue of JP magazine about the virtues of building a model 20. Pretty much applies to an 18 also I think.

Dave

I have one in my buggy, they are very cool for off-road, but loud on road. Torque always runs through the gear set, so it makes nice gear noise when going down the road.

Mine is set up to run in 2 wheel low. The weak link is the rear shaft, and the stock ratio is 2.46. You must really be set on that offset 60, eh?

I'd not want one of these beasties in a highway driven rig.

CRASH

Not really set on the offset 60. But if I can get them both for cheap and I can biuld the 18 would you do it? I realize I wont be finding anyone else on the trail w/ spares. The more I think about it. I think Ill just wait and find a d300 and reg. d60.

Back