• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seriously, let's talk axles.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
Why does the d35c have such a bad rep? How many of you have actually broken one? This is why I'm asking. My end product I want is a DD w/ 4.5 suspension lift, running 31's, maybe 32's for looks, and selectable lockers front and rear. Looking at Detroit Electrac's for the LSD's (I live in snow, sort of). I want the capabilities that setup will give me, but I won't be doing any hardcore monster truck rockcrawling. So do I need to look into swaping axles? Will changing to "super axle shafts" ($400) be enough? If I swap I would want to keep it as simple as posible, meaning direct swaps. So I would be limited to 8.25's or the rare XJ D44. Are there other direct swaps out there? So seriously, how far will a D35 take me with lockers and 31's? What's the best, cheapest axle swap to do? By the way I have a 2000 with ABS, hense the D35c.

No, I didn't break a D35 while I had one, but a lot of the bad rep for those comes from the narrow axletube, as it tends to bend in the housing under much stress, including leadfoot or larger tires. Once the housing/tubes are misaligned, you can break lockers or axles as well. Stronger axleshafts aren't going to be very helpful in that case since they are misaligned going into the carrier. Trusses and upgrades can help, but swapping in the larger 8.25 or D44 can ultimately be a better goal. Don't forget to do a search for Ford 8.8 swaps either.

I´ve never broken one, but I had one, with seriously worn spider gears and a couple of others with worn carrier bearings. The odd outer axle bearing.
Over compressed the suspension, messed up the collapsible bushing in a 8.25.
Don´t abuse my Jeep much, never had one with over 31" tires.
Would probably upgrade to a 44 or 8.25 if I ever did break one.
I´ve got a narrow D60, in a corner I keep glancing at. But then remeber, it took four of us to haul it in the garage.

I wouldnt worry about it,you can wheel them pretty hard w/ up to 33's.Dont forget the real weak link is the D30 up front.If youve got an automatic its alot less stress on the drivetrain!

some torque is lost in the converter, cant dump the clutch

alot of the axle/u-joints breaks Ive seen come from "shock loading" and autos make that alot harder to make happen.

I'd be willing to say with what you described (32" max tires, no hard core off roading) you'll be fine with your current axles. Just don't be crazy with the throttle and you should be okay. If you're keeping stock gearing though, you might consider an 8.25 in the back, it's a bit stronger than the 35, and can be had cheap (from bone yards).

Sequoia

I ran a non c-clip Dana 35 with 32" tires and a 4.5" lift for about 1.5 years wheeling every other weekend. I wasn't locked and have a fairly slow and controlled driving style and I never had any trouble with it.

I do have an automatic, and maybe I'll go 4.10 with the bigger tires, but I know it's not totaly necessary. And what's up with the D30's? I hear people go on and on about the D35, but don't hear much about the D30. Also, thanks guys. So far you get the gist of what I'm asking.

My brother has 212,000 miles on his '91 with the D35. He's run 235/75-15s for about 190k, probably half of which has been towing his ski boat, a landscape trailer, or a cargo trailer. He also usually has so much stuff inside that it looks like he's living there. He's also done a fair amount of moderate 4wheeling, and he just changed the diff fluid for the first time several weeks ago. That said, and I'm sure many other XJers will agree, once you start increasing the capabilities of your truck (lift,lockers,tires,etc.), it's just too tempting to use those capabilities on tougher trails. If you can resist the temptation, you very well may be fine with the shaft upgrade, even with 32" tires, but one serious trail could cause breakage. My D35 was fine with the 31" tires and 2.5", but once I did the 5.5" lift and 33" tires, I knew that I would soon use those increased capabilities beyond the strength of that axle. With the Currie 9", I don't worry. With a D44 or 8.8" you would be well matched with with your lift and tire capabilities.

The only thing that I will say, having never had the wonderful chance to wheel a D35, is.....why spend all that money on a 35? If you're gonna get an electrac, and gears, and supershafts, and yadda yadda yadda, what's 200-300$ more for a D44 housing?? In the short run 2-300$ may seem like a hunk of change, but when you look at the big picture, it's seems pretty minimal to me. Also, by upgrading to the 44, I don't think anyone will argue with the fact that you won't need some high dollar shafts. The stock 44 shafts will be just fine. So it's not even 2-300$, plus you get nicer/bigger brakes with the 44. That's just my take on it. I've got a built 8.25 that I wish I woulda swapped out for a D44, but that's just me. It's in the forsale section if you're interested in an 8.25 with an ARB. Needs gears, but the rest of it's good. Best of luck to ya :)

Ary

RCP Phx said:
I wouldnt worry about it,you can wheel them pretty hard w/ up to 33's.Dont forget the real weak link is the D30 up front.If youve got an automatic its alot less stress on the drivetrain!

Ummm......yeah???? I'm still running my D30 with 35" tires......whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

I'd use the D35 until it breaks or until you run across a 29 spline 8.25 or D44. Don't lock it or spend any money on the D35.....the factory tracklocks almost work with up to 31" tires (I ran my D35 until I had 33" Swamps) and I'd stick with that until you want more.

I've never broken my D35, but have used my spare shafts more than once for someone elses D35.

Since most of this stuff is opinions, ill throw in mine...with your current setup, your fine, just carry some extra dana 35 shafts

I would not run a dana 35 (did, for a little while, scared the whole way) not because the axle really sucks (all though some might disagree...) but because I like my stuff to be bullet proof, but along with being bullet proof, comes being broke, and I cant afford the axles I really want (hp 9"s f/r, even though I dont like ford :D) so, I got a 44 (174$, dropped right into my XJ)

bottom line, do what you want, its really up to you, ifyou think you can survive with the weaker dana 35 (some can, some cant) then stick with it...

Ary is right with his suggestion, if your gonna have 1500$ into an axle, might as well make it 1800 and a d44...

Does my rambling make some sense?

Well Ive only seen one blown rear and suprisingly it was an 8.25".On the other hand Ive seen lots of blown D30's.Isnt that why everyone is always looking for spare front shafts??????

RCP Phx said:
Well Ive only seen one blown rear and suprisingly it was an 8.25".On the other hand Ive seen lots of blown D30's.Isnt that why everyone is always looking for spare front shafts??????

everyone is looking for 297 shafts...to make their ujoints the same strength as 44 ujoints...

talk to xenodank, hes ran 35s and 37s on his dana 30, and not broken anything (all though he is goning dana 60 soon :D)

I broke 5 d 35s non c-clip in one year on 33s . thats all I'm gonna say about them.
Led

I do not wheel with many guys who still use stock rears. Two years ago though, My club and I were running upper two at Tellico. Back then Upper two was a moderate trail. A guy with a D-35 and 32" tires snapped his axle. It was night time already and he didn't have a spare. His jeep got fixed the next morning.
The break nearly left him stranded on a mountain. I have a 35 spline D 60 on 33" tires and soon to be 36s. It's overkill, but at least a 44 or 8.8 would be good for peace of mind on 32s.
My .02
mattk

Dirt Surfer said:
How many of you have actually broken one? This is why I'm asking. My end product I want is a DD w/ 4.5 suspension lift, running 31's, maybe 32's for looks, and selectable lockers front and rear. Looking at Detroit Electrac's for the LSD's (I live in snow, sort of). I want the capabilities that setup will give me, but I won't be doing any hardcore monster truck rockcrawling. So seriously, how far will a D35 take me with lockers and 31's? What's the best, cheapest axle swap to do? By the way I have a 2000 with ABS, hense the D35c.

Anything can be broke!Last year my buddy broke a Ford 9",I was suprised(but he had a manual,LOL).But with the needs described I dont see a problem.

BTW:nobody I run with has 260's(except for spares).Most are either thinking about alloy's or a Super 30 kit!

One thing for the original poster -

You mentioned you have ABS and since the 8.25 axle never was equiped with ABS for XJs, if you swap one in you will have to lose your ABS brakes. I don't know if ABS can be used on the D44 or 8.8 or how hard it would be to hook up. If it were me I'd disconnect the ABS all-together.

But, if all you want to do is run 31's you'll probably be good with just the D35. Just remember to go easy and carrying spare shafts would be wise.

Back