• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift plus 2" budget boost

jpnut2

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a 3" Rustys lift on for about a year now and it has sagged to about 2". I am thinking of getting a 2" budget boost ( front spring spacers and rear extended shackles) to increase the lift more.

It seems that rocky road has about the strongest best rated 2" lift, but they use 1.75" lift shackles and 0.5" spacer under the spring pack to make it a 2" lift. Ive always heard that spacers under the spring packs is a NO-NO because of axle wrap.

My question is this....... would you guys prefer a 2" lift shackle or a 1.75" lift shackle and a 0.5" spacer?

I have not been able to find a 2" lift shackle, everything I have found is a 1.75".

Any thoughts?????Pros and cons of either?

A 2" lift shackle is getting a bit excessive as far as it's length is concerned. To obtain 2" of lift from a shackle it must be made 4" longer than stock.

A 1/2" lift block is nothing to worry about. At such a small height, it does not really add much leverage against the spring, and thus should not affect axlewrap much. I'd opt for the shackle and spacer myself.

Almost all front spacers are 1.75". Rubicon Express has the only full 2" poly spacers that I have seen yet, but more companies probably make them. The RE spacers retail for $30 which is similar to most other companies. Call Dirk at dpgoffroad.com for some good service and prices.

BTW - with 5" of lift you really start to run into problems with some of the linkages in an XJ. An aftermarket track bar is badly needed, and stock control arms are pretty much maxed out on down travel. You might find some new driveline vibrations too. Also, you will likely need extended brake lines if you use aftermarket control arms. The stock arms won't allow enough droop to need them though. The brakelines can also be remounted to a lower position. I run stock brakelines with 6.5" of lift.

Make sure you are ready to tackle a host of little problems caused by the new lift height, and have fun building!

Jared

thanks

here is the link for the lift I was looking at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434676890&category=33585

With the sagging lift I am only 2" above stock so I figure that a 2" lift will put me where I want to be. I am very aware of all the other things that pop up when going higher, isnt that the fun of building a JEEP? I already have the adjustable trackbar and I am looking at some long arms right now so that should take care of that.

I was mainly concerned about the 0.5" spacer on the axle, but since you don't think that small of a spacer would create a problem I think I will consider this lift, and no, I probably would not notice the 0.25" difference.:)

It may be "safer" to use the Daystar budget boost. 1" lift in rear and using the 1-3/4" ffrotn spacer without rubber donut = 1".

Back