• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$2000 paperweight!

I

imma honky

Well, at about 6:45 this morning, my junk stopped in the middle of the road dead.
Heres what happened, everything is hunky-dory then my lights (interior) flicker once, then the rpms drop to 0 then the engine quit. All electrical still worked, it would crank, but would not turn over. Had it towed home ($45), and now it is sitting there. I really need some help (remember, im not auto savvy, still learning). I need to get it back up asap since it is my only ride. Please help!!!!!
TIA!

aim = xxnecronomikonxx
msn [email protected]
I AM ONLINE NOW FOR REALTIME CHAT/HELP

Bummer! It's kind of hard to say without actually looking at it. Do you have fuel? Turn the ignition to the point right before start. See if you can hear the fuel pump priming (the fuel pump is in the tank) – maybe it’s dead. The fuel line could be clogged.
Also just lift the hood and check for loose connections. Clean your battery posts and connectors. Check the ground wire between the battery and the engine block (near the distributor). Check the other ground ribbon cable between the firewall and engine (near fuel injector #6). If you have a voltmeter gauge, see if it registers at least 10 when trying to start.
Good luck

With the light flicker thing I would check the battery terminals first.

When a engine doesn't start but turns over you need to check for 2 things first.

1.spark...are you getting spark

2.gas...are you getting gas

then you can track down the problem

Kej and chuck talked to me already.
Ontop of it not running, i also have a dead battery, so i got a friend coming over to take me to autozone for a charger and some other stuff. Plus I need the second set of hands to check spark, and im gonna check the CPS. I will post back later. Thanks guys!

If you have the factory security system like I've got in my 92, you'll need to cycle the door locks with remote or the key after the battery has been disconnected or the engine will run briefly, then die, which may be what happened if your battery terminals were loose or the battery charge was low.

less, you mean just press the doorlock button? It has a security system, but im pretty sure its disabled (never gone off, no remotes)....

Starter Selenod, CPS (had on go bad at a stop light) started back up didn't think about it and bam...died driving down hill with a sharp corner). I would check that first. The last time mine wouldn't start it was the starter selenod, I replaced the CPS anyway at the time. But if that thing burns through on the header forget the unpluging trick. Juice

imma honky said:
less, you mean just press the doorlock button? It has a security system, but im pretty sure its disabled (never gone off, no remotes)....
Mine is working, but it's never gone off. The owners manual says it will if you lock it while inside with the remote, then open the door. It also says to cycle the locks with either the key or the remote- doesn't mention the door button. I don't think the door button arms it either. When you get it working, try locking from outside with the key. If it hasn't been disabled the SECURITY light while start to flash.

To those of you who have replaced it.....how in the world did you get it off!
I finally found it on the bellhousing (covered in dirt and oil so it was kinda hard to spot) I tried with a ratchet and wrench but couldnt get enoughspace to turn it.....
Any ideas?

It has been se¶lral ye¡~s rinc”$I repl0hed that&subkerÜ#but if@D rdmemòer correctly, I had to do it all by feel - I could not see up there whi,d remov9kg/hnst@cling i´. H al"o h`d t.)usd a À*4" dri&` ratchet and a universal joint. Big PITA!
Sounds fun, Huh?

Well, I just called a frbend whn` I just&nov fotdd out cpl`ced�rhe CPS `n his moms jeep. He said it took several extension (which I dont have) so it ìhoks like tnmorbkw H get&to spe~o mnre |anex!!! 
But he said once it was off it was easy.....
Anyways, things are now0}ostponäf untilÀpomnrrof$aftern?jn (worû)and scheol ove",the next 24 hours :( )

Get some extensions and a swivel for your ratchet. Once you have tham you will wonder how you got along with out them. Your knuckles will also thank you.

RR3

Let us know if it was the CPS.

Does the CPS go out on all models, or just the older ones?

I used a long arse 11" extension and it worked great. Dont let the bolts fall into the hole on the bellhousing (it should be comvered with a plastic shield.

Extensions, never enough extensions

I almost buy them by reflex now, never seem to have enough. Bought a couple more for my 1/4 in set just for tightening and snugging up that big block one near the firewall on the inside by the clutch pedal. Just when you think you have all the tools you need BANG, had to replace a CTO on the YJ, dam thing was 1 1/4", 8:30 at night, auto zone sold out, National had one, sheesh... Never needed a wrench that big before, used once and now it will just sit in the chest.

70 bucks...

after a half hour or so of trying to test fit different shaped wrenches from the top and much head scratching...

2- 20" 3/8d extensions
1- 3/8d u-joint

it hurts the wallet, but sometimes the right tools make it so easy...

2 20"!!! I got em off with 1 10" and a joint.
BUT!, now I cant get the seconf one back on, for some reason its not threading....any ideas? It is the top bolt (the hardest one to get at)......
what about this, do you think its safe to at least try and crank it with only 1 bolt in? I would just like to see if it works before I attemp for another 30 mins on that bolt.
Also, could I run with only 1 bolt?

well, I finally got both bolts in....for some reason, one bolt was maybe 1/2 milimeter larger than the other so i had to enlarge one hole on the bracket for the CPS. Well, got it all in and hooked up but still a no go. It cranks but no tunrover. Fuel pump works and I got spark...

Back