• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5" Lift

Gecko

NAXJA Forum User
If I buy the RE 4.5" lift kit, with its transfer case drop kit, will I need to invest in an SYE? Im not sure if I'll need it for that, but will a dropped transfer case work if I add a budget boost onto that for a total of 6"? How much lift will a transfer case drop work for?

Do you have an auto or a manual, d35 or 8.25, these things make a bit of a difference. I have an auto with an 8.25 in the cherokee with the 4.5 RE kit, i think that is the shortest driveshaft setup you can get from the factory. I use it as a concrete comander so it has only seen off-road one time and i don't think you want that rear axle to drop much, just terrible angles. But at the same time i know a guy on long arms sitting around 6 inches of lift with the auto and a d35, he replaces the t case output seal once a month, he says no vibes, but i don't believe that.

Hope i could be some help, Gene MJ

There is no way to answer your question with 100% certainty... also you have to say which year do you have of the XJ as the more recent ones are more likely to need it then older.

My best recommendation is for you to do the lift, but be prepared to have to do the SYE as the worst case scenario (btw, SYE is good to have whether you vibrate or not..... you might want to do a search as it's been covered at least once every other week :D)

Kejtar

Actually, dont own the car yet. Im just doing research about all these things before I can come up with the money for the car. That and I'm doing my senior project for school on offroading and just need to see about all the things I'll need for different situatuons. I do hope to have an automatic, a 242 if I can find it, but a 231 is fine, and an 8.25. But the only part of that that I'm really set on is the auto.

Yea, sorry. I know how annoying it is to answer the same questions all the time. I have to do it on the paintball boards I'm on. I just wasnt thinking. Ill try to look into more research for it I guess and just see what I need to buy when I need to buy it.

wild to hear you say that you are doing it for a senior project. my cherokee was my brothers senior project. General P "pat main" was his mentor on the project, so i was there to do most of the work, or coach him along. Then three months later he was tired of up keep on it and i purchased it from him.

Gene MJ

Yea, I found one of the kids at school was selling his 89 with a 3" skyjacker. But as it turns out he beat the hell out of it and its barely worth the 800 i gave him for it. So now Im trying to get that off my hands and recoup some money, while i work hard for a year and save enough to buy like a 91 and then I want to lift that right before I leave for college. So instead of the old project where I was going to actually do all the stuff to the jeep, I gave up and am just going to do a shit-load of web research and then make a website all about what different things are useful and how they help and everything. Its kinda a cheap way out, but since I cant do anything else now, and the Jeep I bought to work on is shit, its all I got. Really, right now I'm just trying to gauge out prices to see what Ill be ablet to buy later, and sadly and SYE is a lot of money that I could use on other things.

Back