• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody every have problems with their fan hitting the shroud?

PhatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Quite a while back, I was out 4 byin' and I pulled up on this big rock and we heard the most gawd awful sound come from the front of my rig. We actually got it on video, it's in my sig below.

Anyway, we figured out it was my fan hitting the plastic shroud. I trimmed a little of it away and mad some small changes under the hood by loostening and tightening the shroud monts.

Since then, it's never done it near as bad as it di that once, but it hits a lot more often. At least it doesn't hit as hard. It seems as though whenever I change something up front like a bumper or something it gets worse.

What do you guys think, motor mounts? My factory motor mounts seem to be fine. It's really anoying. I feel like taking the sawzall to my fan shroud.

Check your trans mount on the cross member, I'll bet it's collapsed. Can't check the vid (yet,) it's blocked at the company firewall. Anyway, a bad mount will let the engine/trans tip up and down.

Okay, thats good advice.

I've had my TCase completely out and back in before, wouldn't that have been the mount you're talking about (trying to picture how it is down there). For some reason I didn't think the Tranny itself was connected to the Xmember, I could be totally wrong. Or did you mean the TC?

Thanks.

The transmission mount is attached to the transmission with two nuts and the mount is then attached to the crossmember with 4 nuts.
I recently replaced mine on my 98 XJ and there was quite a difference in the uncompressed thickness of the rubber which also had substantial cracks. An obvious felt difference in the transmitted vibrations during driving.
Check the transmission mount and the motor mounts. Usually when one goes bad the others are not long for this world.

replace the motor mounts to they will let the motor roll to the side and hit it

Back