• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to 97-01

So I picked up a 2001 sport 4.0 A-w4 231.
It has no spark so I ordered a coil pack from Napa. I picked up new plugs I'll install while I wait for my coil pack to arrive.
Is there anything else that is typically bad involving the ignition system? What about the pickup or sender that fills the hole where the distributor used to live?

I'm going to trans plant the goodies from my parts rig on to the 01.

Any help is much appreciated.
546dff48d038ac4cdddf20fb37ae680a.jpg
ce83e7960230e29cc7f499c5de5ea228.jpg
5fdba1169f32c4999c11fb528eb8b32f.jpg

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

The coil rail itself rarely fails, I'd be concentrating on the CrPS and the CmPS along with all the wiring.

I am taking this as your cranking over, and not starting to having misfires. I had a not start, then no crank, back to crank but no start this past Summer on an '00.
First, check the voltage of your battery. Then check the voltage at the Distribution box. Then it gets complicated. Also, I do not remember the exact fuses etc. Also, did you check fuel pressure? Also, get a Noid Light to check the injectors are firing.
There is a relay in the Distribution box, the ADL or such. Check voltage at it, and the no 10 or 11 in the fuse box by the passenger foot well.
The CkPS, the CPS and the TPS can create issues. The CkPS part number is for the 00-01 years.
On mine, I replaced all the above and injectors and fuel pump. Also, upgraded battery cables. When I checked with the Noid light, it only flashed when I released the key. A friend told me it sounded light the ignition relay switch. I replaced the electronic part on the left side of the steering column. After a few tries, it started. I had to start it several times and with starting fluid, then it ran fine.
Also, you can check the coil packs with an Ohm meter. There are 4 pins. One is the ground, the other 3 are to each coil. Also, might check voltage at the coil wiring plug.

Checked all my wires got spark from the new coils the old one was well under spec.
I also found I'm not getting any fuel to the rail. Checked all fuses relays and all have power to them swapped them around and still no 3-5 second charge. Looks like I'll be ordering a fuel pump this week.

Not yet it is in a wet spot from me scrubbing it but now that Washington has shut down I'm sure I'll end up with idle time on my hands if the commissioner's see fit to shut down public works.

Thank you for help everyone.

Its got good power at the plug I thumped on the tank and couldn't get and response from the pump so I ordered a bosch 69316 I relocated it across the yard onto higher ground.
"Shh they're multiplying"
Its parked in front of its donor so the project will get started soon.
f1ac1f7e9f7e48c4491ffbc5fbbe3970.jpg
5e6a16db6f535fe3ef54517569bf149e.jpg

Back