• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Po122 po700 codes

baby ed

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 xj with a 4.0, and aw4. My problem is po122 po700 codes that will not reset unless I unplug the tps. I replaced it with a known good one off my 98. I've done alot of reading on this, but can't seem to figure out my problem. Here's what I've done so far. I unplugged the 3 wire plug from the clock spring with no change. With the tps unplugged, and my meter on the neg battery terminal I read 5v on the constant +, and 4.4 on the pcm wire. With my meter on the POS battery lead I got 12.3 v to the ground wire on the plug, 7.1 v on the constant wire, and 6.9 on the pcm wire.any help would be greatly appreciated

If you suspect a short circuit in the steering wheel clockspring to the TPS ground, the recommended short term solution and test is to unplug the horn relay.

I would unwrap and visually inspect and volts/ohms multi-meter test the TPS wire plug and wire harness.

P0122 JEEP - Throttle Position Sensor/Accelerator Position Pedal Circuit Low Input

P0122 JEEP Possible Causes
•Faulty throttle position sensor
•Throttle position sensor harness is open or shorted
•Throttle position sensor circuit poor electrical connection

TPS CODE P0123 WILL NOT CLEAR
COMPLAINT:
CAUSE:
CORRECTION:
A late model Jeep with a 2.5 or 4.0 liter engine and the AW4 transmission comes in with the
“MIL” Lamp illuminated and a complaint of late shifts. A scan reveals a code P0123, “TPS
Voltage High”, is stored. The scan tools data list indicates that the TPS signal wire voltage is
at 5.0 volts at closed throttle, and then ranges up to 11.5 volts. A backup check of the TPS
signal wire (usually is an Orange/Dk Blue wire), shows 5.7 volts at closed throttle, with a
similar rise in voltage as the throttle is opened. A check of the TPS 5 volt supply and ground
circuit prove that both of these circuits are good.
A check of the TPS signal wire with the TPS disconnected shows the same 5.7 volts. The
technician now begins an inspection of the wiring between the TPS and the PCM and TCM to
no avail.
A replacement TPS does not cure the problem, neither does replacement of the PCM or
TCM.
The Switch Sense circuit in the Clockspring in the steering wheel hub has shorted to battery
voltage from the horn button circuit. When the Switch Sense Circuit shorts to the 12 volt
HORN circuit the TPS signal voltage is driven high and remains there as shown in Figure 1.
This is because the 5 volt reference voltage used by the Cruise “Switch Sense” circuit and
the TPS are shared inside the PCM.
Replace the Clockspring assembly. Once the Clockspring has been replaced, be sure to
check the sensor 5volt reference voltage at the PCM to insure that circuit has not been
damaged by the short to power. Also check the TPS signal range to insure the TPS has not
been fried.

Last edited:
I took the horn relay out, still no change. I ohmed the constant and the pcm output wires from the tps to the pcm plug. They don't read between each other or to ground. But with the pcm plug plugged in, the constant wire reads 1400 ohm to ground. Is there any chance it's the pcm?

Back