• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New question-old topic 4" lift

Yahooty

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all.
I have a 98 xj with at 3" rough country lift. I'm running 31" tires and have some rubbing issues on the fenders. Full disclosure... I'm no mechanic, but I get by with a little help from my friends, y'all and youtube.

I'm thinking about going to a 4" lift to alleviate the tire rubbing issue and improve the looks, but had some questions:

Will a 4" lift change the geometry so much that I'll have other issues?

I have already installed a heavy tie rod and currently have no "death wobble" or any other steering issues. Will a 4" lift increase the odds of death wobble?

I don't think I want to go with Rough Country again. What 4" lift would you all recommend. Or some different fix??

Some good quality shocks may improve the ride quality. I recommend DoetschTech DT3000 and BDS. You can add coil spring spacers and a lift shackle to an existing lift kit. Control arm drop brackets will make a huge difference in the ride quality. If you do not have an adjustable track bar, you will need to get one. If you don't have extended brake lines, you will need those also. Seems logical to start with new shocks and drop brackets, you can re-use/keep them if you get a different lift kit, or add spacers and shackles.

If you are set on getting a new lift kit, look at Rubicon Express, Iron Rock Off Road, and BDS.

At about 3-4 inches is when you really should consider installing a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE).

Last edited:
If you go with the lift, i'd experiment first with a cheap Tcase drop spacer kit.
If you still feel driveline vibs, then its an expensive SYE install.
A 4" lift is at that critical point where a Tcase lift could work out or if a SYE is needed.

The simple solution would be to go with the 30's especially considering its a DD.

Back