• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Tranny Problem

XJ88Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok Got An 88 with an Auto that doesn't lock up in fourth gear. I know i can be a number of things, such as plugged valve body, bad converter, or bad computer. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem and what the problem most likely is. Cause I'm Poor and will Prolly have to fix it myself.

"Doesn't lock up in fourth gear." I just learning about the AW4, which is what I assume you have - 4th is an overdrive, and I don't remember hearing about the converter being a lockup type. I believe 4th is controlled by the black box which governs the solenoids and chooses to do it according to load/speed -

Can you give us some more details?

The lock is on a white wire (w/ trace-stripe) from C114 hole E (other end is C14) -- could also be a bad brake lamp switch! (I find the switch or a loose connection more than other things, but hear that more people actually have a solenoid issue) .

white wire (w/ trace-stripe) from C114 hole E (other end is C14)
Run That By Me One More Time Satan, You Lost Me!!

on the TCU, C114 (the connector that goes into it) it's wire E (5th wire in from the one end)

white w/ a trace

basically, look for this wire, cut it and run 12v into it (not into the TCU but into the wire) while driving and in 2nd gear or higher. you should feel the TC lock, if it doesn't there's either a wiring problem (break most likely, a short would blow the TCU's fuse) or the solenoid is malfunctioning.

Hey Isn't the TCU on the Passenger side under the dash?

Thanks But That Idea Didn't Do Donkey!!! Damn Jeeps!!! lol

Related question, maybe. I´ve had two XJ´s with the comfort power switch. Never have figured out what it does. They say the only dumb question you ask, is the one you don´t ask.

8Mud said:
Related question, maybe. I´ve had two XJ´s with the comfort power switch. Never have figured out what it does. They say the only dumb question you ask, is the one you don´t ask.

Comfort/Power was on the AW-4 behind the 87-91 Renix engines. It changed the shift points on the tranny but was dropped when the 4.0L High-Output was used; the tranny was permanently put into 'Power' mode

Yucca-Man said:
Comfort/Power was on the AW-4 behind the 87-91 Renix engines. It changed the shift points on the tranny but was dropped when the 4.0L High-Output was used; the tranny was permanently put into 'Power' mode

The power/comfort switch was used until the change in '97. Some renix's have it, some don't. Some HO's have it, some don't...I don't know what packages it was included with.

Back