• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft clunk, 99

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 auto, np242, 4.56

I was chasing down a clunk today with my thieye and pretty sure ive found it, smoked uca bushing again.

however, by doing so I got eyes on a different clunk which ive always had. Currently my back driveshaft is out, but when its in this clunk is audible when engaging drive/ reverse as well.

The drive shaft is thrown one way or the other 1/8th turn, this is watching the front ds/ pinion, i can only assume its similar when the rear shaft is in.

the np242 has the stock chain and im curious if this is whats possibly allowing this jolt?

if not what causes this?

Normal wear inside the differential is what causes that.

In my experience owning 7 XJ Cherokees, the differentials clunk, and transfer cases typically do not.

Last edited:
Would a loose transfer case chain make that clunk worse? If I go about 30 mph I can hear it slapping. I changed the transfer case fluid a few months ago and that definitely quieted it down but I can still hear it on occasion.

Would a loose transfer case chain make that clunk worse? If I go about 30 mph I can hear it slapping. I changed the transfer case fluid a few months ago and that definitely quieted it down but I can still hear it on occasion.

if you can hear a chain slapping its time to replace that booger.

My gears are only a few years old so im not so sure normal wear on the pinion/ring has caused this. The aw4 has something close to 250,000 on it and ide assume something has to give with this drive train at that age. Many jeepers report the same clunk, i remember a dude on here that got roasted as he didnt believe what folks were saying, he rebuilt everything almost i think.

most people use whats called a piggy bank, I found a black box and put coin into it lol.

Grease the slip joint and see if it makes any noise (and obviously the u-joints too). Do you have a sye?

Besides checking the driveshaft, have you checked the gear set-up?

Also what diff do you have?

Also what diff do you have?
99 auto . 4.56s
hpd30 with only the front driveshaft in currently, c8.25 rear shaft in the mail.

i havent checked gears as i didnt install them, theyre only 3 years old. no whine or howling. just a clunk through R, N ,D. its always been even with 3.55s

i dont have a dial indicator anymore but i guess its obtainable from the hazard front

any gearset will have some clunking. newish gears may be tighter, but they will where in just like stock gears

the clunk can be pretty violent when switching out of gear on a driveway. Nose down hill is worse than nose up. Can the transfer case chain play any roll in this?

my 242 8.25 clunks. Always has.
16 years later. the clunk never got worse.
Rebuilt the 242 a year ago. No change to clunks.
XJ's Just Clunk.
my 2cents.

my 242 8.25 clunks. Always has.
16 years later. the clunk never got worse.
Rebuilt the 242 a year ago. No change to clunks.
XJ's Just Clunk.
my 2cents.

Good to know, I was going to ask if anyone's ever resolved it.
I've never driven a low loiw mile xj so I'm not sure what his was like new. If it didn't clunk there's gotta be something that could be fixed.

Idk just doesn't sound healthy to disengage so harsh.

Back