• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's Talk Driveshafts

JKTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need a of a driveshaft ASAP... before I leave for Moab Friday. The Rubicon modified mine a bit and it is going to be a spare. Anyhow, is a low pinion driveshaft from a late model the same length as the high pinion driveshaft from my 94? I have a manual tranny also, is auto tranny driveshaft the same length???? TIA, JP

Are you talking front or rear??? I might be able to bring for you my rear shaft which is 29" ujoint to ujoint..... it's from a 98XJ with ax15 231 and 8.25.

Kejtar

Ok, this is what I have learned......

The shortes front shaft on an XJ is the early auto 2.5L's. Next is the Stick 2.5L's. Then the AX-15 then the AW-4. Reason being is that the 3speed auto is a short tranny, its the TF that was used in YJ's and TJ's for so long. The 5 speed is a little longer and the 4.0 5 speed is even longer. But the AW-4 is longer then all of them. Does that answer you question?

Perfect, thanks a bunch!! Found a shaft from a 99 with a manual tranny at the local boneyard so it should be same as what I got.

JP

XJ Sean said:
this should help. it seems to only have lengths for 99 and up for export models, but does give the lengths for the earlier ones.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

Heh-heh...did anyone else notice they consider the XJ and ZJ "Short Wheelbase?" :D They also note Dana44 rear axle available all the way up to 2000... :confused:

Back