• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Coil Spring ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been trying to track down a "pop" issue in the front of my '01 XJ for a while now. I've replaced and tightened nearly everything suspension related and still get the pop when my suspension has any articulation... turning in a parking lot on a hill, backing out of my driveway and turning, etc... that being said.... I can't seem to find this while laying under my rig and checking all wearout parts. If only I could lay under my XJ while it was driving. Ha

I have noticed that my front end appears to be 'sagging' when looking the profile. I've got 177K miles on what I'm assuming are the original Coils Springs. I replaced the bump-stops last year w/ polys that I had to cut as they were too long. May need to remove another 1" of those too... Bilstein front shocks on front. No lift currently.

I'm wondering if my front coils are just plain worn out. My rear leafs are flat so those need to be replaced soon as well. I don't really need or want a lift on my XJ... at least no more than 1" or so.

Anyway, lot of rambling to ask if Coils wear out? Suggestions on an OE style or better replacement that doesn't give me a 3"+ lift? Appreciate the input as always!

Have you measured your current ride height yet? Center of wheel to bottom of your flare. Don't hold me to it but I think stock measures 17".

It's probably either the control arms or the trackbar and bracket that's not "torqued" down.

It's probably either the control arms or the trackbar and bracket that's not "torqued" down.

I've torqued those down so many times... and they're never really loose. However, that doesn't mean they're not the culprit.

Upper and Lower Control arms have been replaced in the past 18 months. Only I did NOT replace the Upper Control Arm to Axle bushings. They look ok, but they could also be the culprit I suppose. I'm just tired of throwing parts at this XJ w/out knowing for sure which part is worn out. Could be that they were all worn out so I've been replacing them 1 at a time and narrowing it down. :)

I've torqued those down so many times... and they're never really loose. However, that doesn't mean they're not the culprit.

Had popping, track bar to frame bracket was loose, stock hardware was stretched from retorquing and would not stay tight. Fresh American made hardware solved the popping.

Had popping, track bar to frame bracket was loose, stock hardware was stretched from retorquing and would not stay tight. Fresh American made hardware solved the popping.

I suppose I should rephrase that... I've actually checked the torque only to find those bolts tight many times. Not sure they've ever been loose. Plus I can't see any sights of slipping or movement on the track bar bracket. It could be the culprit but....

The isn't much to a trackbar, an upper joint, a lower joint, some hardware, and some brackets. Check the joints for wear or damage, check the brackets for wear or damage, check the nuts/bolts for wear or damage.

Repair or replace as necessary.

The isn't much to a trackbar, an upper joint, a lower joint, some hardware, and some brackets. Check the joints for wear or damage, check the brackets for wear or damage, check the nuts/bolts for wear or damage.

Repair or replace as necessary.

That's all been done over the last few months. :)

Still hoping someone chimes in on the Coil Springs Question. I see Rockauto has some progressive rate coils so I may just give them a try and see what happens.

Steering linkage can pop like that as well. Mine had a significant pop until I went to ZJ steering and new TREs. At a minimum, check your TREs for wear.

Get a friend to work the wheel while you listen underneath the front end to identify which one is suspect

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Steering linkage can pop like that as well. Mine had a significant pop until I went to ZJ steering and new TREs. At a minimum, check your TREs for wear.

Get a friend to work the wheel while you listen underneath the front end to identify which one is suspect

Have the ZJ steering linkage w/ TRE's. It was a great and easy upgrade a year or so back.

I need to have my son help me by turning the steering wheel around again while I try and isolate the noise. Helped a month back isolate the steering dampener pop last time... but that's been fixed and I still get the pop. Something else is the new culprit... :)

Back