• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 no reverse, slipping in drive

Milner

NAXJA Forum User
For the last few days I have noticed a sound that sounded like the fan hitting the shroud, but only in reverse. Today it started doing it in forward and park as well. As I was driving home it felt like it would go into neutral for a few seconds, the catch again, then do it again. I limped off the freeway home. By time I got home it would rev to 2k and engage and there is NO reverse at all.
Replace the flex plate about 1000 miles ago, fluid level is good, transmission was rebuilt about 40K ago.
Any ideas of what could be the problem?
98 XJ with a 242 and a curse!

First I would check/adjust the TV cable, then I would do a filter/atf change.

No reverse means it's mechanical, not solenoids or trans computer. A broken flexplate or sheared bolts was my first thought. My second thought was perhaps the torque converter was not properly seated when you reinstalled the transmission and damaged the pump in the front of the trans. I have seen similar symptoms with low fluid or a plugged filter or crimped oil lines to the cooler.

Back