• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 to 2.5 tach guage cluster......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Working on my swap and was wondering. I was looking at a guage cluster with the tach. Was told that it would have to be "recalibrated" to work with the 2.5? ANyone know if this is true and how it is done?

Yes, the tach can be "recalibrated." A friend of mine did it (Oh, Dave.......) but IIRC it requires a frequency generator, and maybe an oscilloscope.

Ghost...

I have a 4-cyl gauge cluster w/ tach.

I need a 6-cyl gauge cluster w/ tach.

Mine is the 84-87 style speedo connector and has full gauges.

Wanna trade?

(I don't feel like recalibrating)

Last edited:
If I find one cheap enough........

The guy wants $75 for the cluster. I will check ebay now. What is the going rate on these things?

Hmm intresting.....

Just called two local yards and they still amaze me. One was $65 and the other was $75! :eek: I'll keep my eye out on ebay. If anyone has a cluster they want to get rid of cheap, Guages not idiot lights, with/Tach let me know.

Another option

Hey If worse comes to worse I could get one out of our pull-n-save and send it to you. I'll be making a run late this week.

One of the reasons I live on this site.........

And come here for info. 2 pm's and one offer on this thread for help. Unforunately the guage plug changed also in 91 Cheap so yours will not work like I want it to. I'm actually swaping every wire in my XJ over to the 94 engine harness. Well most of it at least. I have found several differences but not as many as I expected. Actually Cheap someone offered to sell me a cluster that you need for $25 so that I could trade you for it. LOL! I love this place!

Well, while we're all swapping gauges, anybody near Orlando have an '88-compatible panel with tach for a 4.0 they want to get rid of? =]

Last edited:
Re: One of the reasons I live on this site.........

Ghost said:
And come here for info. 2 pm's and one offer on this thread for help. Unforunately the guage plug changed also in 91 Cheap so yours will not work like I want it to. I'm actually swaping every wire in my XJ over to the 94 engine harness. Well most of it at least. I have found several differences but not as many as I expected. Actually Cheap someone offered to sell me a cluster that you need for $25 so that I could trade you for it. LOL! I love this place!

I can hold out for now.

I've almost gotten used to my tach reading 33% higher than the actual engine speed.

kinda freaks people out when they see me shift at "6800 rpm" w/ a 4.0L :eek:

I could use a guage cluster with a tach for a 85 XJ:angel:

Back