• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back up lamp switch location

SalzigHund

NAXJA Forum User
1. 90' XJ
2. 4.0
3. auto
4. aw4.
5. Laredo

trying to simply check the switch for functionality and I cannot seem to find it.
No power to reverse light socket and want to start at the switch.

After checking all of the fuses, this could be a NSS problem - your neutral safety switch. It's a pretty straight forward part to disassemble and clean. It's prone to corrosion, especially if you've been in some water or mud. There should be some diagnostic procedures here in NAXJA as well as in the Factory Service Manual that will help you troubleshoot before you service it.

Here's a useful article as well: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/...987-2001-jeep-cherokee-neutral-safety-switch/

also, I've seen the other post about a similar issue with posts that link to cleaning the NSS. Going off of the Mopar Jeep Electrical Service Manual for 1990 Jeeps, under "Wiring Diagrams" under Transmission Control system page "MJ-XJ 26" the schematic indicates the switch is alone in the trans with two wires leading to a 4-pin connector.

After checking all of the fuses, this could be a NSS problem - your neutral safety switch. It's a pretty straight forward part to disassemble and clean. It's prone to corrosion, especially if you've been in some water or mud. There should be some diagnostic procedures here in NAXJA as well as in the Factory Service Manual that will help you troubleshoot before you service it.

Here's a useful article as well: https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/...987-2001-jeep-cherokee-neutral-safety-switch/

fuse is good. Thanks for the additional link. I'll give this a go tomorrow after work. Will report back tomorrow.

Here's a couple more good videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70m0Pu6ZJ_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwpYe-0xRAU

The hardest part of doing the NSS is getting it off without breaking it. Be careful prying as the back side of the switch is plastic, and the threads on the big nut are aluminum. Plan on liberal use of penetrating fluid. Open it up on a towel or in a plastic bag so you don't lose the small pieces.

When reinstalling, put shifter in reverse and rotate the NSS back and forth until it's in the middle of the range where the backup lights come on. A mirror, piece of cardboard, helper, or something to tell when they're on while underneath is very helpful. Snug the bolt that prevents it from rotating first, then the big nut, or you'll bind up the switch and make it hard to move the shifter.

Ill check continuity in the rev. pos at the plug, but cleaning it didn't get the back up lamps to light. The NSS guts were unremarkable.

I do remember several months ago a small leak near the left tail, water dripping on a few connectors. It was about then that i started blowing fuses and having issues with dash lights/ gear selector light illuminating when brake pedal was pressed.... still having that issue. (on a side note, it cause my headlamp switch to cook which prompted a replacement after cooking a few wires in the jumble coming out the firewall. Had to R&R a few wires but I think I've missed at least one or two melted wires. Switch still getting warm after being on for a while.)

As far as my next stps (aside from aforementioned) I'll check the connections in the rear then pull the dash and see if the back up lamp wire leading from the NSS was affected if it at all is found near ground zero.

I can confirm. Cleaning the NSS is normally the fix.
I just fixed mine this weekend.
I kept putting it off.
It literally took me an hour to take it off.
clean it.
brass wire brushed all the fittings.
New Di-electric grease and clear silicone around the gasket.

10000000000% better.

Back