• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting together lift

98VTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I just got another Jeep xj and the lift on it is sagging and drives like shit (RC) So I’ve been piecing together my own kit this is where I’m at so far with it...

Rubicon Express RE1462 4.5" Leaf Springs
Rough Country 1077 Adjustable 2" Lift Shackle
Rusty's Off-Road 6.5-Inch Lift Front Coil Springs
Quadratec Maximum Duty Hydro 7.0 Shock Kit
* Front Extended: 27.80” 
Front Collapsed: 16.27” 
Rear Extended: 27.33” 
Rear Collapsed: 16.05”
RC Jeep Front Forged Adjustable Track Bar (4”-6.5”)
all that is about $570ish

I’m going for 6.5” my LCA are long enough too keep the caster angle right if I get control arm drop brackets. I know I have to get longer brake lines as well.
I also have a guy who’s got a whole front axle and 8.25 rear (that’s welded) and a transfer case for $20 lol I’m gonna do the hack and tap sye and gonna use spare driveshaft for that.

My questions are do I need OTK steering or could I just get beefy TRE?
What size u bolts do I need?
Do I need new steering box and drop pitman arm?
Will the drag link angle be too off at 6.5”?

Thanks in advance I’ve been trying to refresh my Jeep knowledge I’ve been reading like crazy. There’s a reason I picked all those parts based on my research. I don’t want a big name lift it’s too much money when you can put together a quality kit yourself for half the price. My woman finally let me get another Jeep lol

Sorry if this post is all over the place I worked 12 hours today thanks

I ran 6.5" of lift with the stock steering setup, and it worked fine for a number of years. The passenger side tie rod end will bind when flexed out and limit suspension travel on the passenger side. I am now running less lift, with OTK and relocating the axle side track bar mount above the axle and it is awesome. To figure out of you need a drop pitman arm, measure your track bar angle and then your drag link angle, you want them to be as parallel as possible. I believe the u bolt size you need for a 8.25 is a 1/2” x 3” x 6.5"

My steering setup now

Steering%20Finally%20DOne_zpsdyas9xhd.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you I just ordered everything I need for 5.5” figured I could put it together faster than the 6.5 because of funds I feel steering is important regardless so I’m gonna have to spend money on quality there

Back