• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise issue

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody, long-time lurker first time poster. I've owned probably six or seven XJ over the years, buy them broke down, usually CPS, fix them drive for a while and resell them. :) this 2001 is the first time I've owned a 97 plus and it was by far in the worst mechanical shape of any of them I have bought. I've got all the major Mechanicals fixed but the cruise is really leaving me scratching my head. if you try to turn it on sometimes the cruise light will flash on for a half a second then turn off and won't come on again until you turn it off. I have no vacuum problems, I unplugged the brake light switch and light would stay on but the cruise wouldn't activate so I put a new brake light switch in it and it still acts the same. At this point I'm guessing it's either the switch or the clock spring does anybody have the values to test them?

Hello everybody, long-time lurker first time poster. I've owned probably six or seven XJ over the years, buy them broke down, usually CPS, fix them drive for a while and resell them. :) this 2001 is the first time I've owned a 97 plus and it was by far in the worst mechanical shape of any of them I have bought. I've got all the major Mechanicals fixed but the cruise is really leaving me scratching my head. if you try to turn it on sometimes the cruise light will flash on for a half a second then turn off and won't come on again until you turn it off. I have no vacuum problems, I unplugged the brake light switch and light would stay on but the cruise wouldn't activate so I put a new brake light switch in it and it still acts the same. At this point I'm guessing it's either the switch or the clock spring does anybody have the values to test them?

Have you tried swapping out the actuator?

Funds are too tight to throw parts right now, thats why i want to test the resistance first. It is likely that the actuator is fried though because the kid i rescued it from had tore the crap out of it to the point that the vacuum ball was missing and the vacuum line was full of mud up past the actuator, (but none past the t into the actuator..)

Funds are too tight to throw parts right now, thats why i want to test the resistance first. It is likely that the actuator is fried though because the kid i rescued it from had tore the crap out of it to the point that the vacuum ball was missing and the vacuum line was full of mud up past the actuator, (but none past the t into the actuator..)

The reason I say that, is because I've seen with the actuator unplugged and you hit the cruise light it will flash for a second and go away like you describe.

Faulty steering wheel switches are also very common.

Sidewaysstarion was right! The plug looked like it was plugged in but it must not have been because I took it off plugged it back in and it started working! Thank you so much!

Back