• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Front Brake Shield Question

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
What is the actual purpose of the brake shield on the front disk brakes? Is there any danger in leaving it off? Have any of you taken it off, if so did you encounter any problems with it off?
Thanks,
Bill

I don't run them with my WJ brakes, they have + and - points like getting a rock wedged there.

Thanks for asking this oldbill !

My daughter went tearing things up in my 96 XJ and got a small peanut sized pebble stuck between the shield and the rotor, that thing made a god awful screech. I took that one off (haven't got to the other), but I'm wondering are yall putting in a washer to take up the room from not having the shield?

I removed mine when I had the 30 in there. Never had issues. Don't put any washers or anything in there. Don't grease the crap out of your joints or wipe any excess off to keep it off the rotor.

As stated previously, they are there to keep debris from getting stuck in the brakes. Although they often cause that exact problem. In my years as an auto tech, I've seen many trucks roll in both with and without them. Neither way showed detrimental wear.

Short story...run em...don't run em...It don't make much of a difference.

Last edited:
Ditch em

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I haven't run them in years, on multiple rigs.

The best benefit I ever saw from them was something to hit with a sledge to remove old unit bearings.

Back