• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition cylinder lock problem

CheepersJeepers

NAXJA Forum User
Got home the other day and when I went to turn the engine off the key turned part way and stopped. It went far enough to cut the ignition but jammed up and would neither turn far enough to remove key or restart engine.

It’s a 93 Cherokee with auto and the key is pretty worn. After watching several YouTube videos and reading various threads I figured the cylinder lock was the problem. Bought a new one yesterday and started in on the project after work. Didn’t take too long to get the old cylinder out but on one video I noticed the guy used pliers to turn the ignition assembly inside the column to confirm it was the cylinder. When I tried that, I still couldn’t turn the little ‘rack and pinion’ assembly inside the column.

The neutral safety switch/rod assembly seems to be jammed not allowing the gears to turn. I've tried every tip I’ve read or watched to no avail. When I push the release button on the shifter I can see the actuator rod sliding back and forth but it doesn’t seem to go far enough forward (toward the driver) to release. I’ve tried pulling on it and moving it back and forth, but no deal. The little connector block from the cable to the rod looks like it should slide further forward into the small cutout in the steering column shroud. The small plunger inside the column above the turn signal cam also does not protrude as I’ve seen it in pics.

Had to quit due to light and frustration last night and figured I’d ask for help before proceeding. Do I need to remove the turn signal lever and pull those four small screws inside the column to remove the shrouds and get to the locking rod assembly? It’s kind of a beater Jeep so do I go redneck and cut through the shrouds for access?

I was really hoping it was just the cylinder lock but I always seem to get the hard fixes! At my wits end here and I’ve got a big 3D archery shoot this weekend I REALLY want to make it to. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Can’t post attachments, yet. Here’s link to a pic.

M0WdswV

You can see in the pic that is as far as the rod will travel forward.

Back