• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fun electrical problems

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
93 xj 4.0l ax15 np231

So today while driving home I had some fun times in the rain. To start, Ive always had a problem with my wipers. When I put on the intermittent wipe setting (the very first click) they just wipe and wipe like its on the high setting. After awhile it will get tired of being on that setting and go back to the intermittent setting (after about 5 min.) Today I was driving and my radio shut off and lost power to my cigarette lighter and my blower motor would not come on. I didn't think much about it until I needed my wipers. Well no power there either. Also my blinkers didn't work. No slow blink, fast blink or just staying on. Just dead. So I got frustrated with no wipers and I started taking it out on the stalk and hit it with some force downwards (left blinker) and magically my radio came on, power to cig lighter, blower, blinkers, and most of all I had wipers again.

Anybody have any ideas what I should be looking for before I start taking apart the steering column?

I've had similar problems, slow wipers , losing power to radio etc.
I cleaned up all of my ground wires and that helped until I suddenly lost power again.
I started messing with my ignition switch and everything started working, not sure why but I had replaced the ignition switch due to a overcurrent problem which melted a wire , a well documented problem,

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63273

Check your connections first , the switch may be ok. My brown wire was discolored and the terminal corroded. Do a search and more research first and check your grounds .

My next question is where is it located? Ive done my google image searches, youtube searches and alldata search and everyone just wants to show how to replace the cylinder lock.

found it! How I got the Acdelco number was I took the OEM PN from rock auto and searched for it and it also showed for a 94 Chevy K1500 6.5L diesel. I took that info to Alldata and was able to pull a diagram of the hole steering column and parts list and found it. Here is the diagram and list.

2rpy51y.jpg

2ekqh4j.jpg

Do you have power to interior lights like dome light and under dash lights? Maybe check if you have power to the fuse panel fuses under the drivers side. There is a connector from the engine compartment that provides power to that fuse panel located under the brake booster. 1/4 " long socket will remove it if i recall. There is a ground connected to the fire wall in the middle of the engine compartment, also the dipstick ground connection should be checked. Electrical problems can be a bear, but not uncommon.

I do have flashers now.. it was the flasher relay I haven't checked all the functions yet.. I was just ready to get home.. ill check them tomorrow

Back