• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to buy new, slightly better radiator

The_Punisher

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at Mopar Replacement 52080104AC radiator

and

Omix-ada 17101.20

These are supposed to be interchangeable, and should be the 1.25" thick HD radiator that came with the towing package.

What would you guys buy? Omix-ada is more than $100 cheaper, but I can't seem to confirm it is in fact the thicker radiator in any specs. Anyone buy this one?

There is a huge radiator thread here started by cal — do a search and you should find a ton of radiator info

To sum up the thread — you are going to pay for a premium radiator — most guys feel it’s worth it — I believe that thread had mishimoto on top for aluminum and the summit racing house brand on top for a brass copper rad

All the Omix-Ada and Crown Automotive parts I have bought for both my CJ-7 and my XJ's either fit poorly, failed quickly, or did both at once.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
I am looking at Mopar Replacement 52080104AC radiator

and

Omix-ada 17101.20

These are supposed to be interchangeable, and should be the 1.25" thick HD radiator that came with the towing package.

What would you guys buy? Omix-ada is more than $100 cheaper, but I can't seem to confirm it is in fact the thicker radiator in any specs. Anyone buy this one?

I went with the heavy duty Mopar on mine (manual transmission) and am very happy with it. Absolutely steady at 197 last summer on hills in texas on a 100 degree day. Pricey though.

The Mopar HD Rad is what Cal was running that exploded, thus prompting the thread above.

My 2001, 1997 and brother's 2000 XJ all have been running the HD Mopar radiators for years without a singe leak, Cal evidently probably got a bad one or or something else cause the problem.
The stock, Mopar radiators, in all three, lasted more than a decade.

So my wife's XJ is now my DD while my 2 jeeps are broken. '87 J20 is getting a 454 big block and the "race jeep" high fived some valves with pistons when the camshaft dowel pin sheered. Which is why I have it all apart.

My wife's XJ is a 97 with the up country package. It has what appears to be a factory trans aux cooler. This jeep should have a larger radiator right? I might swap them because it would only take me time and not money. But I'd rather not tear it apart just to measure it.

Also thanks for the link to Cal's thread, I couldn't find it searching because I had no idea what the thread was called.

I had some overheating problems when I got my XJ ('98, 120k). Ended up swapping the radiator for a cheapo autozone stock replacement and fixed it instantly, done well for the last year (30k). YMMV

Thanks. I have a taurus fan and when I saw I had room to toss another smaller fan on there I installed a 8" derale 500 cfm fan on the radiator.

So I just bought a spectra CU1193 cheap on Amazon, and measured my fans and radiator and I can fit one size (9") larger fan, so I bought a 9" derale to replace the 8". Both of those changes ought to help a little. And together they were cheaper than all of the radiators I was looking at.

Back