• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Oil Dip Stick Tube Broken

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
The motor oil dip stick tube on my 4 liter engine broke off the block, flush with block. part of tube is still in the block.

1. Any advice on how to remove the broken bit stuck in the block, it is broken pretty much flush?

2. Where to obtain a replacement dip stick tube?

Thanks!

For a new dipstick tube you are probably looking at a junkyard. Or maybe ebay. Or really maybe a dealership.

To get the old one out...Probably best done with the pan removed, but that is a chunk of work just to remove a dipstick tube.

I would try to find a sheet metal type screw that would fit the end of a slide hammer as well as the inner diameter of the broken tube. Ideally something that would get just enough bite on the inside of the tube without expanding it further into the block. There are some "self-drilling" concrete screws that might also be worth looking at while trying to find something that is just the right size.

Good luck.

Tried the stud extractor, but no go. So off with the pan, and out the tube came. with my 5.5 inch lift, none of the others things per factory manual needed to be removed to clear the pan, but it was tight. upon install, I wrapped the dirty exhaust pipe with cardboard, as the pan does scrape the exhaust during install, and I didnt want that to cause the dirt to fall into the pan.

RockAuto sent me a new Mopar dip stick tube, but it fits my friends 2000 xj, mine is a1990, different dipstick design, so to make it work, had to remove a flare on the end of new tube, and file the outside diameter a bit to get the dip stick to fully seat and seal on the end of the tube. did a slight trim too, to assure my dipstick marks are in the same location relative to the block.
I assume the old style tube was superseded by the part I got.

my 1990 dip stick seals around the outside dia of its tube, and has a metal ring shaped handle. the 2000 dip stick seals with an internal oring, the handle is plastic, and is tee shaped.

why they changed the design I do not know, what a pain.

Back