• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ Electrical problems

Kuhnboy

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, this is my first post on here. To start with, I have a 1993 XJ 4.0 sport HO, four door, 4wd, with an auto trans. Ever since I got into an accident with it (rear ended a Nissan Murano and needed to replace the rad, and all the passenger side lights, and bent something in the front end) I've been having a problem where it will sputter and die. I noticed last night that while it's running, and I open my rear hatch, the outer taillight bulbs come on and the motor is about to shut off. And when the hatch is open and I hit the brake pedal, the lights by the shifter come on. So I know it's back feeding, but I'm not sure where. Recently I've replaced all spark plugs and wires, coil, cap and rotor, fuel pump, and crank position sensor. Could this be a ground that just got knocked loose? I haven't found any information anywhere on similar problems, so anything would be appreciated. Thank you for reading

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thank you for replying. I've gone through some grounds in the engine bay. I know there's more, and I believe there's one on the interior of the firewall? But how many in the rear of the vehicle?

there is a ground point in my 1990 xj on left side rear, behind the interior trim panel inside the cargo area, the panel behind the spare tire below the quarter window..

IIRC there is also a ground near the fuel pump pass through and the back of the body.

I just pulled off the interior panel behind where the spare tire should be, and that ground was nasty. I cleaned it up, and it seemed to fix it. Now I just need to put some miles on and so some more testing. I'm surprised I didn't notice it a couple months ago when I was in there to fix the factory splice for the taillights. Thank you everyone for replying, I'll keep going through grounds if the problem persists.

Back