• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel ready to fall off?

DSBLAKE

NAXJA Forum User
My steering wheel is so loose and sloppy it’s drooping down and seems almost ready to fall off. I pulled the lower plastic panel and looked at the clamp and that part is solid. I don’t have access to a gear puller to pull off the wheel. Is there some type of ujoint back there that could be bad? Will I eventually have my steering wheel fall off? Any input would be appreciated .

the tilt wheel assy has a couple of bolts way down inside that tend to loosen over time. It is a pain to replace them. You can "rent/borrow" them from Autozone for only a deposit.

If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind swearing a bit getting the lock ring off, go ahead and do it yourself. I can do it in 30 minutes start to finish with the right tools and practice.

So from watching a few of the videos I’ve concluded a few things.
1:I don’t believe my steering wheel will ever “fall” off and the Jeep is steering and driving fine, it’s just a little annoying with my wheel flopping around.
2:I’ll have to source or borrow a few special tools from my local Auto Zone
3:Although the job looks tedious I’m pretty sure that I can accomplish it
I’m currently on the road with my Jeep traveling around the Dominican Republic and I don’t trust the mechanics here to do the job and not lose all those little prices. I’m going to wait until I’m back home in Puerto Rico to do this job myself.
Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Back