• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirping bird noises in drive shaft, how we resolved it.

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Had a rather load chirping noise, road speed dependent frequency. Slight volume dependence if under load or coasting. Sound like a nest of angry birds. As we rolled jeep down a hill , I could crawl along it, and noted sound from rear shaft, and noted by watching the drive shaft weight rotation that noise, the chirps matched the drive shaft rotation, one chirp per rotation.

Greased the u Joint, no change, then greased the ball in the double cardan joint, and silence at last!

If you got a chirping bird noise, consider your drive shaft joints NEED a grease job. Do not neglect the cardan ball. it maybe hard to get at, depending on shaft angles, you may even need to drop the shaft as I do on my front. But rear I could access (my jeep is lifted, aftermarket drive shafts) To grease the rear cardan ball, I had to flatten the needle grease gun attachment in a vice in order for it to clear the yoke so I could get to the grease fitting.

Keep a jeepin!

Old news but vibrations to it.

I pull front and rear drive shafts and grease with each oil change. It is important to grease the slip joint as well. I had been dealing with driveline vibes for a long time and had been greasing the front slip joint but apparently not with enough grease. One day I greased the crap out of it and my vibes disappeared. Smooth up to 85.

Angry Sparrows is the commonly used description.

I pull front and rear drive shafts and grease with each oil change. It is important to grease the slip joint as well. I had been dealing with driveline vibes for a long time and had been greasing the front slip joint but apparently not with enough grease. One day I greased the crap out of it and my vibes disappeared. Smooth up to 85.

I will have to give this a try. I too have been dealing with some mild floor vibrations that I have been attributing to tire wear. It is worth a shot. Thanks.

Back