• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger window rattle - Which replacement parts?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings All,

When the passenger window is all the way up, something starts rattling. It goes away if I just drop the window a tiny bit. I am planning to get in there to replace the speakers, so I figure this is a good time to solve the window problem.

Anyone else ever had this?

Any idea which part(s) might be attributed to the problem?

Shouldn’t be that hard to find since the window needs to be up — it’ll be out of the way

Get yourself an inspection mirror for when you pull the door panel so you can see up in there

Mine rattled on an earlier model (Renix), the rivet at the bottom of the window guide/rail was loose.

So, the motor is connected to the sheetmetal behind the door card. I found a 1" long crack there and the sheetmetal would flex when the window was rolled all the way up. I've added some JB Weld to it and installed some sound deadening (MLV). At this point it's not making noise anymore.

Oh!

Also the motor is riveted on to a cross brace. One of the rivets that holds it all together was a little loose. I drilled it out and put a small bolt through it.

When the driver's door regular died on my '92 I found a similar crack in the sheetmetal the door card rested against (I heard a metallic clank when closing the door, but never a rattle when movning the window). I bought some pre-drilled straight metal brace plates (like corner braces for a screen door, but straight instead of right-angles), drilled holes into the door on either side of the crack, and bolted two of them across the crack. Been tight/quiet ever since.

Back