• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burned up my AW4

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
A couple weeks ago my AW4 gave up the ghost in a spectacular clout of smoke on the NJ Turnpike. I always wished the rig was a 5 speed and now is my chance.

What I want to know is, which 5 speed is the one I want? AX15? NV3550?

I’ve had 5speed XJ’s in the past and I know I don’t want the internal slave cylinder.

I’ll be doing an SYE and ordering new driveshafts at the same time but I need to get the trans first to get the lengths correct. I currently have the rig stashed at a friends place but the clock is ticking to get it out of there.

I’d rather stick with something that came stock in an XJ for the smoothest install. Does it matter if the donor trans comes from a YJ or a TJ? Or are there subtle differences that will complicate things?

The rig is a 96 2 door with 4.0 and 231 t case.

Either one will do fine. From my research each will handle about the same amount of power and have the same longevity.

Back