• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start problem

catmech

NAXJA Forum User
1990 xj 4.0 auto transmission,has been sitting for about six years.I'm getting it ready to sell
I went to start it,it cranked but wouldn't start.I had a fuel leak at the pressure regulator so I fixed that and checked fuel pressure while cranking,it was 30 psi.I then checked for spark at
the plugs and had spark,used starting fluid and got it to fire but won't run on its own.
Checked for injector pulse with a noid light and there was no pulse any ideas what I should check next?Any help would be appreciated.

Grounds, grounds, and grounds.....

1990 xj 4.0 auto transmission,has been sitting for about six years.I'm getting it ready to sell
I went to start it,it cranked but wouldn't start.I had a fuel leak at the pressure regulator so I fixed that and checked fuel pressure while cranking,it was 30 psi.I then checked for spark at
the plugs and had spark,used starting fluid and got it to fire but won't run on its own.
Checked for injector pulse with a noid light and there was no pulse any ideas what I should check next?Any help would be appreciated.

30-psi is a bit low. It should be 39-psi about the manifold vacuum - ie 39-psi with the key on and not running. You have fresh gas in there? The fuel pump ballast resister on the front drivers fender messed up? It gets bypassed while cranking, but then get put in series with the fuel pump once you stop cranking.

I found the ground on the head buy the dipstick tube and on the back of the head going to the firewall are there anymore that I'm missing?

http://cruiser54.com/ scroll down to "grounds refreshing" and "sensor grounds". Also make sure the battery is healthy and well charged. If the voltage is too low while cranking, (9.6 volts I think?) then the ignition module won't provide spark.

http://cruiser54.com/ scroll down to "grounds refreshing" and "sensor grounds". Also make sure the battery is healthy and well charged. If the voltage is too low while cranking, (9.6 volts I think?) then the ignition module won't provide spark.

Thanks for the link,lots of good information there.The battery is new and I'm getting spark
just no injector pulse.Hopefully I can get the grounds cleaned and the upgrades done in the
next couple of days so I can get this up for sale.

Update: I cleaned the grounds and now have both spark and injector pulse but still won't start.I'm thinking old gas now,there is about a quarter of tank left,what would be the fastest
and easiest way to drain the tank?

Update: I cleaned the grounds and now have both spark and injector pulse but still won't start.I'm thinking old gas now,there is about a quarter of tank left,what would be the fastest
and easiest way to drain the tank?

How does the gas smell? Turpentine?

Fastest and easiest -- cordless drill and drill right thru the bottom of the tank

You want to re-use the tank?? I have an old fuel pump rigged up with hose that I can connect right to a battery and stick the hose in the tank -- problem is you usually can't get in a tank thru the filler neck -- have to take the filler hose off the tank and try access from there

You might be able to "hot wire" the in tank fuel pump and disconnect a fuel line

I was able to get the old gas out and put in fresh,still no start.Found a manual that said to power up the injector from the battery and listen for a click,did not here or feel a click so I
replaced the injectors.When I tried to start it the fuel pump quit working.I ordered a fuel pump from Rock Auto but it doen't fit the mounting brackets,I then ordered the Delphi
fuel pump from looking at the picture as it resembled the original pump the closest.It's smaller in diameter and shorter than the original and doesn't fit the brackets either.The pump that came out was a Bosch brand and has a bunch of different numbers on it,I haven't been able to find anything online about it.Does anybody have anybody have any part numbers for a pump to fit this vehicle? I sure would like to get ths running so I can sell it.

Back