• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Position Sensor Woes / Intermittent Loss of RPM and Stalling

jriffel

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ that has pretty much been completely from top to bottom including an AX-15 conversion. among many things. I've driven it about 2k miles since the build and everything works great EXCEPT once in a while it will lose power, RPM will drop, and eventually stall. You can feel it start doing it and you can attempt to postpone the inevitable by feathering the gas pedal, but it is going to stall. The funny thing is all you need to do is turn the key on and off and its fine again. I've gotten so used to it I can turn the key off and back on while driving and restart it without stopping. Given I have replaced pretty much every sensor in the truck except the cam position sensor I decided to go ahead and replace it.

So, I ordered a new CPS and installed it. However, neither the old or new CPS have this mysterious alignment hole shown in all YouTube videos and the Haynes manual. So, just like when we rebuilt the motor we dropped the CPS while on TDC and visually aligned the lobe and pickup based on what we could see it was on other people's rigs when aligned with the alignment hole. This worked with the old sensor for the last 2k miles... however...

The new sensor wouldn't work at all when dropped that way even though it looks pretty much identical. Funny thing is it did not want to start with the new sensor dropped exactly the same as the old one. It started one time after a long battle of trying to start it, but other than that you could tell it was firing wrong. We ended up putting the OLD sensor back on without adjusting the position of the CPS at all and it runs fine (but probably still stalls out from time to time).

So my first question is anyone ever have an intermittent loss of power like that which is 100% cured by power cycling the XJ without any need to "cool off"?

My second question (and probably most important one) is how the heck do you drop the CPS and align it on a '01 without the alignment hole? I have concerns my CPS is bordering on the wrong alignment and periodically causes these issues.

Thanks for any help!

I have a 2001 XJ that has pretty much been completely from top to bottom including an AX-15 conversion. among many things. I've driven it about 2k miles since the build and everything works great EXCEPT once in a while it will lose power, RPM will drop, and eventually stall. You can feel it start doing it and you can attempt to postpone the inevitable by feathering the gas pedal, but it is going to stall. The funny thing is all you need to do is turn the key on and off and its fine again. I've gotten so used to it I can turn the key off and back on while driving and restart it without stopping. Given I have replaced pretty much every sensor in the truck except the cam position sensor I decided to go ahead and replace it.

So, I ordered a new CPS and installed it. However, neither the old or new CPS have this mysterious alignment hole shown in all YouTube videos and the Haynes manual. So, just like when we rebuilt the motor we dropped the CPS while on TDC and visually aligned the lobe and pickup based on what we could see it was on other people's rigs when aligned with the alignment hole. This worked with the old sensor for the last 2k miles... however...

The new sensor wouldn't work at all when dropped that way even though it looks pretty much identical. Funny thing is it did not want to start with the new sensor dropped exactly the same as the old one. It started one time after a long battle of trying to start it, but other than that you could tell it was firing wrong. We ended up putting the OLD sensor back on without adjusting the position of the CPS at all and it runs fine (but probably still stalls out from time to time).

So my first question is anyone ever have an intermittent loss of power like that which is 100% cured by power cycling the XJ without any need to "cool off"?

My second question (and probably most important one) is how the heck do you drop the CPS and align it on a '01 without the alignment hole? I have concerns my CPS is bordering on the wrong alignment and periodically causes these issues.

Thanks for any help!

The new cam position sensor should have come with a cap that is supposed to help you line it up. Also it not dropping all the way down means it wasn't engaged with the oil pump drive and you just needed to use a screw driver to align the oil pump drive.

Also when most people say it's the CPS, they are referring to the crank position sensor, which are a pretty common failure. Have you tried swapping the crank position sensor?

It did come with a cap and I just thought it was for rotating it or something. I'm never occurred to me it could be an alignment tool. Thanks! I'll also probably replace the crank position sensor as well. Thanks!

Random stalling makes the CRANKshaft Position Sensor on the transmission bell housing the primary suspect. Since you have a 2001 the CAMshaft Pickup Sensor synchronization become a strong suspect as well. Typically the Cam sensor itself can fail, but unless there is excessive wear or damage to the housing the Cam Pickup Sensor assembly housing on the block does not need replacing.

Read this >> http://jeep.blackonyx.net/pdfs/jcss.pdf and make sure the CAM sensor is properly synchronized. I would invest a few dollars in have the synchronization done by the Dealership or a shop using a DRB-III Scan Tool.

Are you installing genuine Jeep OBD sensors ? Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
Back