• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM CPS

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I bought a Mopar cps for my 1989 jeep cherokee stick shift. I bought it on ebay. It arrived in a mopar package with the correct part #, but the bag was taped closed on top. I want to believe it’s mopar, because I’m having a hard time finding the factory sensor, but it looks a little cheap and there is no mopar branding on it. The original is not in my car anymore, so I’m wondering if anyone out there has a factory mopar cps who can confirm or deny that there is no mopar branding on there cps. Thanks for your help.

I have a 96 auto so idk what differences that would make, but neither my crank sensor or cam sensor (idk which one you're referring to) has a Mopar symbol or logo. just a part number.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m talking about my crank position sensor. It also has 2019 printed on the body of the sensor and 100 470=9 printed on the cable. Just want to make sure I didn’t get ripped off, thanks.

I've had a BWD bottom shelf parts store CPS in my '88 for four years now. Not sure what all the hullabaloo is about on only buying OEM sensors.

Would I buy the absolute cheapest Chinesium CPS off eBay? Probably not. Any reasonably good brand? Yeah, they're fine.

My TPS is BWD too. It's just as sensitive to water intrusion as any TPS, but otherwise fine.

My '96 had an AutoZone CPS, IIRC. I know I didn't spend any real big money on it but can't remember where I bought it. Probably AutoZone given that was the closest shop to my work at the time.
My '98 had a Standard Motor Products CPS in it. It was fine.
My '91 has had an AutoZone CPS since 2012. It's never skipped a beat.
My '88 has a BWD in it as I said.

It's a free country, feel free to dump big money on OEM sensors if you want, but I'm not seeing the justification.

I completely agree with eliminating C101. Was a great idea from a manufacturing standpoint but not so much for reliability... they ended up reimplementing that idea finally in 1996/1997 or so when all the engine sensors/actuators ended up on two plugs on the ECU and the third went to the body harness. AMC was ahead of their time on C101, but flubbed the implementation badly.

I went from a few tens of millivolts peak to peak to several orders of magnitude higher than that when I replaced the CPS - I guess I would call that verifying the output :spin1: Not sure on exact numbers, would have to dig up the video I made of the difference on my oscilloscope from old busted CPS to new working CPS and I have no idea where that file would be these days.

Back