• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag Light; a different than search

sailorjim86

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I had to re-register after being away for a while. '98 XJ bone stock. Going down a path that maybe others could find useful.

Had the typical problem in cold weax that when hitting a bump the gauges on the instrument cluster would drop out and airbag light come on, and with a couple of fist bangs on the top of the dash it all went back to normal.

Got to a point where the smashin' the dash got the gauges going again, but the airbag light stayed on. Smashed it for a few weeks of commuting, same same.

Lifted the dash and did the instrument cluster connection cleanup, and haven't had the gauge dropout problem, but the airbag light stays on. Took it to a local shop (needed a safety inspection) for and OBD-III and they couldn't figure it out.

God help me, had to take it to the dealer. Result came back as "DTC FOR PASSENGER AIRBAG, INTERNAL OPEN" and parts not available.

The dealership informed me that the passenger airbag is discontinued, and he can't do anything....but "I wouldn't recommend it" get one from somewhere else. Got it, and appreciate it because I know he has a license and liability to protect.

Anyways, my way ahead is that I just purchased a replacement bag that looks good (yes, it is used) and being shipped. I'm not concerned because it is extremely rare that anyone rides in the passenger seat, and if the thing is plugged in and set, light functions properly indicating a good check through the module, then its fine.

Question: Do I need a special scanner to reset the module? (a 1st gen '98)?

Will update on how it goes.:cheers:

I have installed pre-owned airbags, clock springs, and the control units in several crashed 97-01 XJ's. No problems.

The airbag system is self diagnostic, if the dashboard light goes off, the system is re-set, enabled, and functional.

Be sure to follow carefully the airbag system safety procedures.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TEN MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Thx Tim. I pull the battery cables and wait at least 45 minutes before tinkering with this stuff. Have plenty experience with CADs/squibs. Good to know that the this simple system doesn't need some specialty tool to reset a PROM.

Back