• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Voltage Gage Above 14V

The_97_Sport

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since i have had my XJ (For 1.5 years now) the voltage gage on the dash has read always slightly above 14V (~14.1/14.2), but i recently have noticed it is now reading very close to 15V. keep in mind the temperature here is -7F and with windchill it is -30F, but i am concerned i have a problem and unsure of what the problem could be.
The battery and alternator has not been changed since i bought the Jeep, but had no reason to replace...
all electronics are working as they should, nothing is staying on or acting abnormal.
no check engine light, no change to wiring of anything.

Get a multi meter and take readings directly off the battery terminals.

Most likely bad grounding and poor connections and cables.

i can do that when i get home. what voltage should i expect it to read?
i was also considering if this is normal since its so cold due to the battery temperature sensor... when its above freezing outside or warm it sits at like 14.1 to 14.2 tops

Voltage reading at the battery is 14.76V

I would not worry about 14.7 volts when it is as cold as it is where you live especially on startup. However, when the engine or rather the battery get warm the voltage should drop to about 14.5 +/-.

About 13.8 -14.4 volts is the normal alternator output. As already suggested, cold weather may increase this reading slightly. Excessively high indications on the dashboard gauge suggests loose/dirty/corroded battery cables or connections.

Have you checked the ground between the motor and chassis? It's the one by the head on cylinder six to the firewall. Originally a cheap piece of strap wire. If it's cruddy, replace it with 5 gauge wire and terminals. Another one from the negative battery terminal to the chassis. Grounds....ground me please.

Back