• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to spend $1500?

bentroia

NAXJA Forum User
What are your ideas for the best improvements to my clean-tight 97 XJ Country? I've got about $1500 to spend..

Lighter duty crawling (lower Fordyce, Dusy, Swamp trails in CA), adventure, and civilized-comfy road manners, and efficient-strong performance are all important.

Currently lifted about 4 inches (stock output with no vibes) with Old Man Emu springs + front spacer and shocks, tcase spacers, metal cloak arms, brake lines, bump stops, JKS track bar and discos rolling on 31s, headlight harness and upgraded headlights, JCR sliders.

I plan to add 32s on some TJ Moab wheels in the future.

Considering an Iron Rock 3 link long arm and different front springs, shackle boxes, JCR front bumper, a gear reduction and or?? (your ideas)

thanks

Gears and recovery worthy bumpers.

At 3 or more inches of lift, an SYE. Traction devices, skids, bumpers/recovery.

At 4", in a 1997, you have vibes even you don't notice them.
Tim's suggestion of an SYE is the first thing I would buy.
Next, recovery points (which are require for club runs) A used trailer hitch works great for the rear point.
You also need skid plates on the LCAs mounts, gas tank and transferase .

If you are going to run 32"s, start saving for better brakes and gears, with traction devices.
I run a Truetrac in the rear and a E-locker in the front and find it to be a good combination for an all-purpose machine.

Thanks!

Based on your inputs, I've dropped the priority of long arm for now and will do a SYE and driveshaft on my 242 case and the JCR crusader bumper for protection, clearance and recovery.

When I bump up to 32s, will review diff gearing, replacing the trac-lok ect...

It sounds like you are pretty well set up. Pack up the jeep with gear, fuel and food. Head out and explore. After that rinse and repeat. Do this a few times and you will have answered your own question. Enjoy

It sounds like you are pretty well set up. Pack up the jeep with gear, fuel and food. Head out and explore. After that rinse and repeat. Do this a few times and you will have answered your own question. Enjoy

Agree, that is what drove my initial priorities.. The front tires contact the bumper and this XJ does not flex as well as the 2 previous and similarly set up XJs i've owned. I think the flex limitations may be the Old Man EMU springs. That is what drove me to a considering a 3 link and ditching the old man spring and spacer set up the front now...

Thanks! Appreciate the REAL input..

Back