• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I found an unusual perhaps rare XJ item

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
I have the black console insert from an 84-85 XJ with 4wd. The console has a switch where on later XJ's there's a sort of coin tray behind the main shift lever. The switch is vacuum operated and switches between 2 and 4 wheel drive. I also have the transfer case console insert which indicates High, Neutral and Low. The parts are in great condition considering their age of around 34 years. Are these common items?

I knew a dude that bought an 84 XJ in really good shape. It dodnt run but it was all there and clean. When he moved he just left it on the property *facepalm*

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sort of rare, it’s the vacuum control for the early select trac XJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been half-way looking for one at the junkyard. I've got a NP242 to put in my Heep and was thinking about using one to manually control the front axle vac disconnect instead of permanently engaging the front axle. Still need to find time to do that swap.

No need for a 242 to do that. You couldn’t use full time with the front disconnected anyway

I want the 242 to get full-time 4wd, and I have one on the bench that's in better shape than the existing 231. The wrinkle is that I need to have the front vac disconnect locked for 4wd (actually before shifting, since the 242 doesn't have synchros), but would prefer to have it disconnected when in 2wd. Hence the decision to either permanent lock the vac disconnect, or rig a means of manually locked it.

I want the 242 to get full-time 4wd, and I have one on the bench that's in better shape than the existing 231. The wrinkle is that I need to have the front vac disconnect locked for 4wd (actually before shifting, since the 242 doesn't have synchros), but would prefer to have it disconnected when in 2wd. Hence the decision to either permanent lock the vac disconnect, or rig a means of manually locked it.

Not worth it at all. Do the cAD elimination in 15 minutes and carry on.

Before I’d trust a vacuum operated anything I’d eliminate it. In your case I’d get one of those kits to operate it with a cable if they still exist.

Not worth it at all. Do the cAD elimination in 15 minutes and carry on.

I also figured out I can just swap the vac lines on the existing disco so it stays engaged. I did that as a quick check, and found that adds a little bit of vibes in 2wd, but acceptable. Probably just start with that.

Back