• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced Head Gasket Now Smoking and Barely Runs

Iz 511

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. So I just finished replacing the the head gasket on my 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0. I replaced the head gasket because I hydrolocked and started burning coolant. I was burning loads of coolant and getting steam out my exhaust. So I changed it. Put it all back together and now I have some problems. One is a valve tick that I wasn't getting before. Another is im still getting steam out the tail pipe. I am also getting a very loud sucking air noise from the engine that Im not sure where it coming from. I am about ready to drive this jeep off a cliff because its been nothing but trouble to me. I just want to her to run again. Any suggestions?

Here is a video that i took of it running. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHVC9nXhTQ4&feature=youtu.be

If you "hyrolocked", i.e. cylinder filled up with coolant and then you attempted to start the engine, bad things can happen. As the piston comes up, while starting, and the intake and exhaust valves are closed a couple of bad things can happen. Either the connecting rod can be bent and/or the cast piston can be broken. When that happens, the engine needs to be removed and pulled apart to replace the damaged parts. If you didn't hydrolock the engine, then maybe you just didn't install the head gasket properly.

Best regards,

CJR

I hydrolocked by wheeling and going too deep into water. It sucked air through the intake and thats what blew my gasket. at least i thought. the head gasket looked fine when i pulled out out bu still burning coolant from somewhere.

Often times the compression in the cylinder prevents the valves from opening, so the energy from the cam causes the pushrods to bend.

Remove the valve cover and bring the jeep to idle, then look for loose rockers. When you find one pull it out and roll it on a piece of glass or something else that is perfectly flat

Sucking sound is a vacuum hose or port you missed re-assembling stuff.

How exactly did you hydrolock it, need all the details, ALL OF THEM!

Did you have the head cleaned, inspected and checked for cracks and flatness? If not that was a big mistake.

Any sign of coolant color on or steam cleaned spark plugs or piston tops?

Did you use new head bolts?

Did you torque then in the proper factory sequence to factory specs?

Did you put sealant on the threads of the front 2 driver side head bolt threads?

I would ignore the ticking lifter for now. Find out where the coolant is getting in, head bolts, cracked or bent head?

I assume there is no coolant in the oil????

Back