• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puffing sound after radiator replacement and condenser removal

XJHangtime

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is probably a noob question but I just replaced my radiator and decided to remove my a/c condenser while I could since my a/c doesn’t work. Now when I accelerate I start hearing a rapid puffing sound but I don’t get it when I rev in neutral. The ac lines that were connected to the condenser are open and I’m not sure if that’s where the sound is coming from or not. Any ideas? Can I cap them without causing pressure in the lines? Or run a hose from line to line?

I know this is probably a noob question but I just replaced my radiator and decided to remove my a/c condenser while I could since my a/c doesn’t work. Now when I accelerate I start hearing a rapid puffing sound but I don’t get it when I rev in neutral. The ac lines that were connected to the condenser are open and I’m not sure if that’s where the sound is coming from or not. Any ideas? Can I cap them without causing pressure in the lines? Or run a hose from line to line?

I ran a bypass pulley for my AC in my '00 for a bit. Nothing like what you describe. I just put the lines in a ziploc baggy and taped it up good. Just to keep dirt and whatnot out of the lines.

Could be the lines but obviously can't tell without hearing it.

So Yes, cap the lines any way you like to prevent dirt and other debris from entering. Then unplug the wire to the compressor clutch to prevent unintended operation.

You'll need to flush the system before closing it back up anyway.

I know this is probably a noob question but I just replaced my radiator and decided to remove my a/c condenser while I could since my a/c doesn’t work. Now when I accelerate I start hearing a rapid puffing sound

The A/C compressor is the source, it's trying to do its job of pumping gases.
Cap the compressor off and disconnect the clutch's wire.

Back