• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Cat Question

daltonlam

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've got a 96 Cherokee. The other day after driving for several hours, it threw a CEL (P0420, Cat system efficiency below threshold bank 1). I cleared the code and it hasn't come back on. But, I have been feeling a slight loss in power. Its not huge, and there's a possibility its in my head, but its much quicker to downshift on the interstate and what not. I'm wondering if the Cat is clogged, and what would happen if i just emptied the cat. Have done this on previous (non OBDII) vehicles with success. Will it throw a CEL? Are there any other options? Thanks

If you gut the cat it will definitely throw a CEL, in fact, the very CEL you have now. That is the point of the downstream O2 sensor.

If you want other options do some research on dummy O2 sensors.

I have been feeling a slight loss in power. Its not huge, and there's a possibility its in my head, but its much quicker to downshift on the interstate and what not. I'm wondering if the Cat is clogged,
Just an FYI, talk of disabling emissions equipment is a hot button around here.

Besides, there are easier ways to diagnose a clogged CAT:

Back