• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED blackout headlamps.... Low-beam low-output, when shut OFF...??

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Purchased a set of blackout LED headlamps for the XJ....and, all looked good, until I noted that, even with the switch in the full-OFF position, the low-beam LEDs still have a fainter/low-output...??

Just to note; there are driving light aux. lamps, on either side of the bank of LEDS, but I did not connect those.

THUS, I can't imagine WHERE the juice powering the low-output for the low-beams described, is coming from.... Off, should be, OFF, one would think.

Any thoughts...??

{Did send a message to the seller, but...in the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone has any idea....}

Thanks.

There's still some power running through the lines. Halogen bulbs wouldn't turn on with the little draw but LED's require much less power to turn on. Might need to add a resistor between the power wire and the headlight.

There's still some power running through the lines. Halogen bulbs wouldn't turn on with the little draw but LED's require much less power to turn on. Might need to add a resistor between the power wire and the headlight.

Thanks for the reply....

Yes, but....perhaps the switch is faulty, as I don't think there should be any power runnin' through, in the off position...???

ALSO....took it for a test ride, and...did note that there is some atypical radio interference, and more with h-beam on....:)

Kinda bright lows...perhaps, not DOT-approved...? This IS, of course, the high-grade, high-dollar schtuff, so....I"m surprised...:eek: :looney:

You have a little stray voltage at the headlights -- You could do the wiring harness mod and add relay to the system -- should wipe out the unexplained voltage

Most likely the stray voltage has always been there, just not enough to light a halogen bulb -- as stated above, LED lights need much less voltage to show some light

As already suggested, probably a little bit of stray voltage. It does not take much voltage to get LEDs to light up. Install some Diodes next to the lights, or use an H-4 upgraded wire harness with relays.

I have this same problem and from my research it seems to be the fog light system causing the problem. Do you have factory fogs? If so pull the relay and see if that works. I have not tried this myself as it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have this same problem and from my research it seems to be the fog light system causing the problem. Do you have factory fogs? If so pull the relay and see if that works. I have not tried this myself as it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the remedial suggestions, gents...

No, no fog lights.

I had presumed the voltage leakage...but, still, my question is: IS it typical for
that to exist, or...is the switch the culprit...??

The root cause is LED design, not switch design. Voltage can be induced into another wire from an adjacent positive wire in the wire harness, or you simply have some stray voltage somewhere. Wikipedia tells us: Electromagnetic or magnetic induction is the production of an electromotive force (i.e., voltage) across an electrical conductor in a changing magnetic field.

Last edited:
I had the same problem and it originated in the delay switch under the dash. It has a constant feed of power that bleeds through to the lights even with the switch off. The LED's operate at such a low voltage that any bleed through causes them to glow. I unplugged the headlight off delay switch ( which I didnt care whether it worked or not ) and no more glow...

Back