• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a question

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ and am looking for advice. I have all the parts to install an OEM retractable cargo cover in the rear of my XJ. I also have a factory rear bumper swing away tire carrier with all the parts as well. I'm trying to decide which one to install. It doesn't make sense to do both. Any thoughts on this? Pros or cons one way v the other? Thanks.

The retractable cargo cover will probably limit your options for tire size. If you ever plan on going larger than stock (and this will probably matter most with regard to width than diameter) then you may want to give priority to the swing away tire carrier.

If, on the other hand, you have no plans to ever go larger than stock then I would be inclined to go for keeping things under cover in the back. The cover has value for keeping opportunistic thieves guessing and for minimizing flying objects in an accident.

What little cover hardware I have come across in the junkyards seems prone to cracking, so exercise caution and extra care when installing those little brackets, if you go that route.

I don't understand? You have both parts so why not do both?

The cover leaves a big hole for the spare tire. If you mount the spare outside the vehicle then the cover doesn't actually cover the back.

You could use the cover and mount a fire extinguisher/air tank vertically in place of where the tire used to be. You could also construct a box to mount in the void space to store items you might need accessible from inside the Jeep (and not have to remove cover).

You could use the cover and mount a fire extinguisher/air tank vertically in place of where the tire used to be. You could also construct a box to mount in the void space to store items you might need accessible from inside the Jeep (and not have to remove cover).

Now there is a pretty good idea. If you could find one of those Lido driver's side boxes, see post #32 at the link below, that would be cool. I own the passenger side one. Came up on Craigslist awhile back and just bought it. Don't even think I will ever use it but figure that is the only one I will ever see in my lifetime. Driver's side would probably be a real tough find.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/cargo-cubby-hole-solution-177968/index3/

Back