• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Jeeps. Want to buy my first. Difference between Cherokee, and Grand Chrokee

RichCo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone.

My name is Rich.

I am completely new to Jeeps.
But i am facinated, and want to own one.

I have heard that the most recommended years are 1998, and 1999.
I am wondering about the differences between the Cherokee.
And the Grand Cherokee.

I am looking for a daily driver that can handle the wet and snow, and huge potholes, of Oregon.
And the ocassional trip to the mountains, or forrest.
Im not ready, yet, to build a serious offroad vehicle.

What years, or styles would you recommend.

Thank You
Rich

Well, that's a pretty broad question Rich.

For the Cherokee, there were two body styles of the XJ - the 84-96 and the 97-01. With the exception of the early years when a 2.8 L V6 was offered, they will all have the same basic version of the 4.0 L inline 6. A few models were offered with a 4 cyl engine. There were a handful of changes to the I6 - there was a Renix version (which I've never owned and am not terribly familiar with), a High Output version, and then later in the run one that didn't have a distributor and wires in favor of a coil rail.

For the Grand Cherokee, there were a number of body styles - ZJ 94-98, WJ 99-04, WK 05-10, WKII 11-present. The Grand's used the same basic 4.0 L I6 as the Cherokee at least through the 04 model year. They also offered a 5.2 and a 5.9L V8. The styling of the Grands changed significantly from model to model. The WK and the WKII also offered a 5.7 Hemi and a 3.0 L diesel. I think there was a 4.7 and maybe a 3.7 offered in there somewhere also.

So, I've owned a 1985 XJ with the 2.8 V6, a 1990 and a 2001 XJ with the 4.0, a 1994 ZJ with the 5.2, a 1996 XJ with the 4.0, and a 2013 WKII. I also own a 2006 Commander, but since you aren't asking about that, I'll leave it out of the equation.

Frankly I don't think you'd go wrong with either model. They all have pros and cons. I'd stay away from the 2.8L V6 in the XJ. I think that the WJ was probably the worst model of Grand in terms of durability of the interior, I think the WKII has the most uncomfortable seats, I think the ZJ is the single most comfortable Jeep, I think the 97-01 XJ are the best for building for the trail

For my money, the one's I've owned rank as follows best to worst in terms of comfort, drivability, efficiency, and overall enjoyment:

1996 ZJ
2001 XJ
1994 ZJ
1990 XJ
2013 WK
1985 XJ

I would only consider a ZJ or WJ to a XJ. Both ZJ's and WJ's have coil spring suspension and disc brakes at all 4 wheels so they ride and stop better. Watch out for the transfer case differences(options) as that counts for a lot.

What you want in a transfer case might be the biggest question at the moment.

If you want the ability to put the vehicle in 4wd on pavement that is likely to go from relatively dry to snow/ice in one short commute then you may want a transfer case that will allow full time 4wd. That would mean an NP242 or NP249. If you aren't concerned with the above scenario and just want 4wd for when you go offroad or when all the roads are covered with snow then you are probably better off with part time 4wd and thus the NP231 transfer case.

Note that part time 4wd means you don't use it on dry pavement. Full time 4wd can be left engaged regardless of pavement conditions.

The NP231 is a simpler and thus generally more reliable transfer case. Some folks look down on the NP242 because it has more failure modes due to its additional moving parts, but there are plenty of folks running NP242s and happy with their performance. The NP249 I don't know much about at all. Worst comes to worst it could be swapped for a different case. it really comes down to your needs.

If you want an NP231 you are most likely to find that in an XJ. If you want an NP242 you can find that in some of the more upscale versions of the XJ. The NP249 is likely to be in a ZJ.

ZJs are going to have nicer interiors and probably a more comfortable ride.

XJs are becoming a bit of a classic and prices seem to be on the rise. ZJs can still be found cheap without much of a hunt.

My advice with either is to stick with the 4.0L inline 6. It is a very robust and reliable engine. There will be some maintenance needed on account of age, but if you take care of the fluids you are not likely to looking at issues with the internals of the engine.

The 247/249 came in both the ZJ and the WJ, I would not own one either way. The 231's and 242's are available regardless. The engine will determine what trans options are available but I don't care for a Chryco trans either.

I remember reading on wikipedia about the Selec-trac verses the Quadra-trac.

From the differences explained there the Quadra-track was supposed to be superrior.
Offering computer controlled power to any wheel with traction.

I remember reading on wikipedia about the Selec-trac verses the Quadra-trac.

From the differences explained there the Quadra-track was supposed to be superrior.
Offering computer controlled power to any wheel with traction.

The NV247 have a coupler that will transfer power nothing computer controlled on it. The selec-trac is nice because you can be in true 2wd. The problem with the 247 is the coupler drive is prone to failure. The Quadra drive with vari lock axles (standard on a WJ overland) was a decent option but the issue is not being able to really select 4lo.

Another thing you'll need to consider is space. How many people are you hauling? XJ's pretty much cap out at 2 people and a dog by the time you have gear in there. You can maybe squeeze a kid in but it gets tight. Here's my take, I'd personally start with a XJ or ZJ. WJ's are nice but driveline wise not as solid as their unibody brethren. There not junk but more touchy to certain issues, especially on the V8's. I6 is the same 4.0 as everything else but they really lack power for the full size SUV and they have some of the worst trannys. I think look wise and comfort wise WJs are the best and is what I'm building as my family camping rig now. XJ's I'd look for a 93-96 or 98-99 avoid the other years, only go with a 4.0.98-99 are the best XJ years though. ZJs 96-98 are good and it would either be a choice of I6 or V8. XJ's will have the best driveline IMHO. ZJ's are good but I don't like the tranny they use. XJ's are awesome rigs, tons of aftermarket support and as is they need very little to be capable. ZJ's are bigger, a hell of a lot more comfortable and you can get a V8. Really it will boil down to the cleanest model in your budget. Which is something else that will point you a certain direction.

Anything after 04 is junk IMHO. IFS suspension, Chrysler's biggest cost cutting years and electrical gremlins galore.

This is the XJ forum so obviously we all think the XJ (Cherokee) is the best. vs the WJ/ZJ (Grand Cherokee). Whatever you do get something with the I6 4.0 engine.

I would not spend too much energy worrying about AWD vs 4WD. I think you want one or the other but you are talking buying a 20 year old vehicle, I would focus on what is reliable, easy to repair, and has aftermarket parts support. AWD may be slightly superior but it also has a lot more that can go wrong and is harder to work on.

The Cherokee's (XJ's) obviously have a loyal following and have a strong reputation for reliability and ease to repair; the Grand Cherokee's don't quite have the same reputation however there are a lot of similarities between the two so maybe that is not fair. Because of this you can generally get Grand Cherokees for cheaper compared to the XJ's.

If you are looking for something to keep a long time and work on and eventually upgrade I would go for the XJ. If you are looking for something more short term and just something to use and abuse and eventually get rid of for something newer I'd go with the Grand Cherokees.

Yeah, XJ's and ZJ's have more in common with each other than they do anything from this century. The 4.0 is legendary for a reason. I live in a place where the AWD TC should make sense, and I have a 2008 subaru with a 5-speed, which is the epitome of that approach, and I don't feel the least bit disadvantaged in either of my XJ's with 231's on snow, and I'd take any running XJ with snow tires over anything from this decade in the snow in a second. If anything they are more fun for the ability to get a little sideways when you want to. Tires make a much bigger difference on snow that transfer cases do. Take your time and watch the local listings for something that is rust free and has been garage kept. I'd take a 200,000 (highway miles) XJ that has been maintained over a 100,000 mile one with a bunch of rust and corrosion.

I own and regularly drive both 1996 and 2000 XJ's. While the newer one is undeniably more modern, more ergonomic, and quieter... there is something about the older model that is more honest. Some days I feel like if you are going to daily drive a vehicle with a solid axle in the front and drum brakes in the rear it may as well have 1980's gauges. The 1996 feels faster because it is louder. The 2000 treads on modern electronic BS that annoys... me like the headlights don't turn off right away if the ignition is turned off first etc. I don't know if it is a fair comparison, but I have more problems with power windows, rear hatch, heater controls etc on my 2000 than I do on my 1996. You should watch the youtube "regular car reviews" for a summary if you can tolerate some crude sexual humor.

"a totem of a more honest America... when Jeeps didn't need to be trail rated, the official car of furrowed brows and steel cut oats." I kinda identify with that.

The 2000 treads on modern electronic BS that annoys... me like the headlights don't turn off right away if the ignition is turned off first etc.

Um, that's not a "new" feature - my '92 has that. I honestly didn't know that the later ones still did it.

Back