• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flood damage....

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
Non tech topic but interested to ehar what people might have to say. My dad recently picked up a WJ from a mechanic friend that rebuilt engine and tranny. He got it dirt cheap, when he went to register it the title was listed as rebuilt from salvage due to flood. Now to make things weird when checking the national registry for flood damage cars it does not pull up as being a flood damaged vehicle. It also doesn't list when the car was in a flood but said it was Oklahoma. It's had a CO title since 2009. Anyone got any ideas on whats going on?

Once the car has been re-titled from a salvage title that's how the title reflects it. The new records may not reflect the original incident because it was re-titled.

Well the current title states salvage. We are waiting to see what the new title states under his name. Wouldn't it still show as being a flood damaged vehicle at some point? That's what I don't get. Why it would be titled as salvage but not listed anywhere as that.

The new title(at least here in Az) should still say "salvage", and I think that gives any buyer to be aware regardless of why it was originally was "totalled"

The terms can vary by state, but usually salvage means it's not roadworthy and can't be registered. You need proof that a qualified mechanic repaired it and have it inspected (often by the state) to prove that it's roadworthy and then it gets a rebuilt title which can be registered and get tags.

I dont think a mechanic has to work on it. We are all doomed to die from shoddy work if that's the case. But it will have to undergo an extensive inspection that goes far beyond exhaust leaks and headlight positions

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I dont think a mechanic has to work on it. We are all doomed to die from shoddy work if that's the case. But it will have to undergo an extensive inspection that goes far beyond exhaust leaks and headlight positions

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like Colorado lets you self-certify the work, but they can ask for receipts or invoices as proof that the work was done.

https://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/salvaged-vehicles.php

Its already plated and a new title is on the way under his name. Its the part I don't understand how the title shows its a salvage but like carfax says it is not. That's the question really.

Carfax only knows the information "told" to it! My spare 2000 was "totalled" by the insurance company from a read end/rear ended accident but repaired by me, it now has a perfectly spotless title since no one else ever knew!

Back